How old is this side plate please?

Started by basto, January 23, 2015, 08:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

Hi guys
Can anyone give me an approximate time this plate was made? It`s my oldest 113h. Just got it yesterday.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

mike1010

I don't know the answer to your question, but that thing is just beautiful.

basto

Thanks Mike. It will be even better when I have cleaned it up.
cheers
Basto

handi2

Sal will probably give a good idea. Does have thin harness lugs and thinner post's. The really old ones do.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

That is one of the very early plates, those started appearing in the #25 catalog. It could go as far back as 1959.
We do have some geniuses here that might give a better answer.

Keith, did you get the envelope?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Superhook

Basto,

The "Special" 4/0's first appeared in Catalog #26 (1963) . The side plates were red/maroon . Gear ratio 3 .25 to 1 and you can get at the drags without removing the side plate. Ball bearings in both side plates. One piece cast bronze spool with stainless steel spindle . O'size handle with larger knobs and extra heavy chrome plating . There was also a 6/0 Special with 2.8 to 1 gearing.

Ray

Alto Mare

Ray, yes I just checked and it is a #26 catalog. I always count from the catalog #21, its the only one with the date, so if the 21 has a 1958 date, you're spot on, 1963.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That's two years before I was born. ;)
I'm going to have to make SoCal an offer on his. I think one of these early 113's would make a good tank! 8)
Life is Good!

foakes

That is a beautiful sideplate -- looked through my 4/0s & 6/0s -- and found some close -- but not as nice as that.

But when looking, I did find some brand new 140 sideplates in envelopes, 209 rings, and 140 rings hidden under some of these -- all new.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bluefish69

Fred

Your Rich-you have the goodies

Mike

I just bought an entire 99 to get a plate like that because mine has a small crack near the center of the left plate.
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

basto

Thanks very much guys for the info. much appreciated!
Basto

and this is after a bath in soapy water.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 24, 2015, 01:46:30 AM
That's two years before I was born. ;)
I'm going to have to make SoCal an offer on his. I think one of these early 113's would make a good tank! 8)

Shark Hunteryou have a PM.

Shark Hunter

My tank has the same plate. The flash makes it look brighter, but its Maroon.

Thanks SoCal. ;)
Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Take a closer look Daron, yours is different. Your plate is from a much later model.
The boat on your plate sank.

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.