80VSW - Where does this go?

Started by Marlinmate, January 23, 2015, 10:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

I'm down to the last few parts on a clean/lube of an 80VSW.   See the attached pics.

Where does this silver shim/washer go?   Schematic isn't very clear or else I'm going extremely blind.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Marlinmate

only thing i can think of is that it is a spool shim?

handi2

Or the washer that goes on top of the gear shaft, under the chrome cover, before installing the handle.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Looks like either the cam thrust washer -- key #4

The regular thrust washer -- key #4A

Or the retaining ring between the low and high speed gears? -- key #69A

Let us know what you find out -- hopefully won't have to tear it too far down again.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Could just be a main gear shim...not on the Schematic.  These particular reels often times need a shim in the drive shaft between the main gear and the drive shaft holder in the side plate.  I believe both thrust washers are white Teflon, and it is not the retaining ring.  It could be a shim from on top of the drive shaft...less likely though, or one on any of the other 4 commonly shimmed areas along the spool shaft.  If you remember pulling it off of the drive shaft, or it was grouped with the parts belonging to the 2 speed subassembly, I would say it is likely a main gear shim.  You can try assembling with it in place and check the handle for laterisl play with and with out it.  Also, fresh grease on the gears will show you gear alignment.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

phillyguy

Bryan Young

154A or 154B?  That is a spool bearing thrust washer to make sure that the inner pressure plate does not interfere with the spool bearing by ensuring that there is only contact with the inner race of the bearing and the inner pressure plate.  Also provides proper spacing to the metal drag washer.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

phillyguy

Same shim one is .010" and the other is .005". 

Tightlines667

I concur.  Try the reel w and w/o the shim between the inner drag pressure plate and the left spool bearing.  It likely belonfs here. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

johndtuttle

I hate these little shims  :-[.

They always stick to something and then drop out when you least expect them and then you dont know for sure just what they were shimming.

One reason the factory service is to be admired.

Thanks to phillyguy.  ;)

coores14

I was thinking it was #4.
Curious to hear the results.

phillyguy

Quote from: coores14 on February 06, 2015, 12:07:12 PM
I was thinking it was #4.
Curious to hear the results.

#4 is white teflon

regards,

Marlinmate

It certainly isn't #4

I tore the reel back down and there was NOT a shim against the inside drag plate and the bearing.  So i put one there.

The original one is somewhere in the main gear...like Tightlines666 said.   Everything works fine, spins fine, pulls drag fine, clicks fine so I am going to leave it as is.  There is no lateral handle play and everything is nice and tight.

Thanks for everyones help