PENN 80w International

Started by ohfishalee, January 23, 2015, 11:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

glad it worked out.  one of these days i'm going to have to figure out what drag washer i have!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ohfishalee

Quote from: alantani on January 26, 2015, 04:10:57 AM
glad it worked out.  one of these days i'm going to have to figure out what drag washer i have!

any ideas of the lack of freespool?

what say you re: the pics?

Tightlines667

I would stick with stock in this case.  The Duradrags with a stock belleville config, should give you a more linear low end drag curve, with plenty of top end drag.  If you decide to stick with the more agressive (()) config, you will need to shim in order to maintain spacing.  Measure the stock stack height, at ()(), and add shims to the (()) in order to maintain spacing.  Loss of freespool is likely due to improper spacing along the length of the shaft.  If the outter drag disc is not compressed enough at freespool it can rub on the cooling shield, if there us too much compression, the drag disc will engage on the free floating plate...either way you will notice a liss of freespool.  Changing the belleville confug back to stock, or shimming apropriately will fix this.  See my other post for some of my experiences with how to properly shim an international..

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10116.0

Hope this helps?

Alan, you've got the next to last gen DuraDisc.  Quality part.  I'm sure I could find a use for it, esp..since all the local guys are out of the older, replacement 80 discs.  I have used several 70VSX outters as substitutes, which work just fine, though the outter diameter is slightly smaller.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ohfishalee

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 26, 2015, 06:47:33 AM
I would stick with stock in this case.  The Duradrags with a stock belleville config, should give you a more linear low end drag curve, with plenty of top end drag.  If you decide to stick with the more agressive (()) config, you will need to shim in order to maintain spacing.  Measure the stock stack height, at ()(), and add shims to the (()) in order to maintain spacing.  Loss of freespool is likely due to improper spacing along the length of the shaft.  If the outter drag disc is not compressed enough at freespool it can rub on the cooling shield, if there us too much compression, the drag disc will engage on the free floating plate...either way you will notice a liss of freespool.  Changing the belleville confug back to stock, or shimming apropriately will fix this.  See my other post for some of my experiences with how to properly shim an international..

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10116.0

Hope this helps?

Alan, you've got the next to last gen DuraDisc.  Quality part.  I'm sure I could find a use for it, esp..since all the local guys are out of the older, replacement 80 discs.  I have used several 70VSX outters as substitutes, which work just fine, though the outter diameter is slightly smaller.

Is the part that Alan has something that I could use in the future? The drag pictured above looks nearly brand new or hardly used. what is your take on the condition solely based on the pics?

Bryan Young

You've got dura drags in your reel.  Looks like a bit of grease though.  If you are uncertain of the grease, I would wipe off the grease and hit the drag washer surface with some aerosol brake cleaner then dry off (best to use compressed air to evaporate the acetone as quickly as possible).

Then put a good coat of Cal's grease and wipe off any excess, then you will be good to go.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

as far as freespool goes, it's never going to be great.  you have a free floating rotor that is not centered.  it's free to flop around and bang into the drag pressure plates.  it's common to hear a "clang, clang, clang, ...." when the spool is spinning.  that's normal.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ohfishalee

Quote from: alantani on January 27, 2015, 01:53:30 AM
as far as freespool goes, it's never going to be great.  you have a free floating rotor that is not centered.  it's free to flop around and bang into the drag pressure plates.  it's common to hear a "clang, clang, clang, ...." when the spool is spinning.  that's normal.   :-\

is there any way to eliminate that? also, what benefit would a spool sleeve provide (what measurement is typical?)

Tightlines667

Quote from: ohfishalee on January 27, 2015, 01:55:42 AM

is there any way to eliminate that? also, what benefit would a spool sleeve provide (what measurement is typical?)

A small dab of Cals grease on each of the posts prior to installing the free floating metal drag disc will quiet it down significantly.  As far as cutting, adjusting and installing a spool sleeve in order to improve freespool goes, see Alan's other posts on the topic.  A micrometer and small scale adjustments and testing is in order here. 
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Quote from: Tightlines666 on January 27, 2015, 02:52:34 AM
Quote from: ohfishalee on January 27, 2015, 01:55:42 AM
as far as freespool goes, it's never going to be great.  you have a free floating rotor that is not centered.  it's free to flop around and bang into the drag pressure plates.  it's common to hear a "clang, clang, clang, ...." when the spool is spinning.  that's normal.   :-\

A small dab of Cals grease on each of the posts prior to installing the free floating metal drag disc will quiet it down significantly.  As far as cutting, adjusting and installing a spool sleeve in order to improve freespool goes, see Alan's other posts on the topic.  A micrometer and small scale adjustments and testing is in order here.  

ok help me out - what part are you referring to when you speak of the free floating rotor (pic?)

I figured out the floating rotor and am about to order some Cal's Drag Grease and a solid aluminium base & clamp from Cal as well to replace the stock chrome over brass(?) clamp

ohfishalee

still waiting to order the parts from Cal's and will post an update when I get them

ohfishalee

Quote from: ohfishalee on February 13, 2015, 07:41:54 PM
still waiting to order the parts from Cal's and will post an update when I get them

^^^^^THE SOUND YOU MAKE WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU RECEIVED THE 80 REEL BASE AND NOT THE 80W!!!!!!! >:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

Tightlines667

Surprise!
Nice lookin reel nonetheless.  Those bases are nice, and certainly fix a weak link in the system.  What is he getting for those nowdays?
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 20, 2015, 12:52:05 AM
Surprise!
Nice lookin reel nonetheless.  Those bases are nice, and certainly fix a weak link in the system.  What is he getting for those nowdays?

LOL!!!

It was $85 for the base - working on the solution with Cal's now...............

Tightlines667

Quote from: ohfishalee on March 20, 2015, 05:02:34 AM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 20, 2015, 12:52:05 AM
Surprise!

Its great that these are available.  I should have checked with him a few months back when I was in need of 2 for 80s, and 4 for 80Ws.  That is a very reasonable price too.  That is exactly the type of base I had in mind for beefing up the 12 and 14/0 stands when fishing the new SS gearset with drag inserts.  Hmm...wonder if he could make sum up for AT members?

Keep us posted on your progress...

um....

Mm...

Trials n tribulations.

LOL!!!

It was $85 for the base - working on the solution with Cal's now...............
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

^^^The sound you make when you forget to send the $10.00 cheque with the part by courier >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  ???>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( C >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(  ??? and then be told that the $10 can't be waived ???>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( @ >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( N >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( T >:(

LOL........................