PENN 80w International

Started by ohfishalee, January 23, 2015, 11:52:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohfishalee

So I recently purchased a Penn 80w International - s/n D820652

I am presuming that by the s/n, that the reel is manufactured in April 1982 and was the 652nd one made?

I want to change out the drag system if necessary but seem to have stumbled on some discontinued (as per mysticparts.com) and no longer available parts.

Trying to convert this into my 2nd planer rod to pull an Old Salty #16.

Any advice out there on parts or other upgrades would be appreciated.

I have yet to open the drag plates(?) up to inspect but there was virtually no salt intrusion on the parts I did strip :) :)

Attached are some pics

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

ohfishalee

.....and here are some more pics - first impression was this looks/sounds good. I changed the drag washers to (()) so I hope that this changes my drag quadrant beneficially:

handi2

Open up the spool so we can see what drag system it now has. By looking at the spool the drag may have been upgraded. Just remove the 4 tiny screws on the drag cover. I do have some out of stock drag plates.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

alantani

i bought this 10 years ago for a guy that wanted his reel fixed, then he flaked on me.  it's a 117-80st-1 and, yeah, it really cost me $92.  maybe it will work. 

let me know it this might work.....   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ohfishalee

@handi2 - I will have to strip it down tomorrow - I cannot find my screwdriver(why did my wife borrow it!) to take it apart.

@alantani - it certainly does and I will let you know!!

ohfishalee

Quote from: handi2 on January 24, 2015, 12:58:47 AM
Open up the spool so we can see what drag system it now has. By looking at the spool the drag may have been upgraded. Just remove the 4 tiny screws on the drag cover. I do have some out of stock drag plates.

How can you tell the drag appears to be upgraded? still need to get it open (I know)

alantani

if you have a woven material, then it will be carbon fiber.  the original drag material looked like front disc brake material from a car.  those have to be replaced. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

I am currently servicing 3-130H reels.  2 are getting drag upgrades.  I lucked out, and was able to obtain the replacement stand-alone duradrag washers which is much more cost effective then buying the new drag washers integral with the pressure plates.  Pictured are 2 upgraded drags, and 2 old style awaiting the upgrades...
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ohfishalee

Quote from: handi2 on January 24, 2015, 12:58:47 AM
@handi2 - how did you deduce that the drag may have been upgraded by looking at the spool?

the_reel_doc

It has a black drive plate which is on the newer dura-drag. If it was older it would have a gold plate with screws on the inner side.

ohfishalee

Quote from: the_reel_doc on January 25, 2015, 06:17:17 PM
It has a black drive plate which is on the newer dura-drag. If it was older it would have a gold plate with screws on the inner side.

thanks!!

what is the likely part number if it is dura drag?

the_reel_doc

ohfishalee

Pics of the drag system

ohfishalee

more pics of what looks like duradrag as described

ohfishalee

While I wait for your comments/advice on drag material, I have looked at cutting a cutting a bearing sleeve as well - http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=138.15  but would like to know if by changing my Bellevilles to (()) did I do something wrong and should change back to ()()?