Penn 50th Anniversary Int. 50

Started by coastal_dan, January 26, 2015, 03:00:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

So, I'm on the hunt for one of these bad boys and in my searching I found these...which from my limited knowledge...I've determined are 'fakes'.  Obviously real Internationals but too much is missing for them to be true Anniversary reels.  Such as...the handle is wrong and no numbered/engraved side plate.  I am curious though how for three reels he has the Gold Plated Bridges...did Penn sell these bridges on their own as well?  See the link for the Ebay listing...this shows one of the three.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-International-50-Reel-1983-50th-Anniversary-Edition-/221665623334?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339c4cfd26

I've got a few emails/Pm's out to a couple different individuals in locating an unused version of this reel, but I'm always open to additional contacts. 

It's become a love/lust thing seeing these reels and I just need one in my den.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Yeah, I've reached out to the seller, I was looking for one that included the cardboard box as well but that may be difficult.  He's close to us as well, I may go take a look.

Edit: I did notice Randy had one at the recent show (from pictures) but not sure if it is still available.  I have an email out to him for confirmation.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 26, 2015, 05:25:14 PM
Should look as this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-REELS-50TH-ANNIVERSARY-50-INTERNATIONAL-33-OF-440-MADE-SUPER-NICE-/311247926520?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4877d274f8

What a beautiful reel.  That reel would make a great centerpiece to an International collection.  I zm envisioning it being mounted on a cedar or exotic wood Plith.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

coastal_dan

I'm thinking its about $300-$400 overpriced though.  But it's kind of a sellers market for this type of item.

P.S. - Great use of 'Plinth', haha!
Dan from Philadelphia...

foakes

There have been reels that I would pay nearly anything for -- if I could afford it at the time -- to get that centerpiece, complete a collection, or get the hardest to find of a collection.

Then I would always be on the lookout for another, a better one, or just a cheaper one.

At least that way, I would have one now -- with the opportunity to trade it out at a later date for a different one -- then sell one of them to offset the price -- or maybe make a profit.

For sure, they are not making any more of these Limited Run SEs -- and the market will not go down.

Just my opinion -- and it would depend on my budget and motivation.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Nice Avatar Dan. ;D Is that your Gene Simmons impersonation. :D
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

Ha!!  My wife calls it my fish face, purely because 90% of my fishing/kayaking photos show me like that, haha!  So, since we are all family I figured I could use it  ::)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Shark Hunter

The only time a fish make a face like that at me, is when he just got away! ;D
Life is Good!

Maxed Out

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 26, 2015, 11:06:29 PM
The only time a fish make a face like that at me, is when he just got away! ;D

........or right after I gave the fish a wood shampooo
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Shark Hunter

My Grandpa always called it a shot of Novacaine! :D
Life is Good!

Penn Chronology

Great reel. Penn outdid itself with this reel. IN my humble opinion it is the only true 50th Anniversary reel. Others try to share the stage but this is the one and only.::

Does anyone know what the price of this reel was in 1982?

I see there are questions,
QuoteI am curious though how for three reels he has the Gold Plated Bridges...did Penn sell these bridges on their own as well?  See the link for the Ebay listing...this shows one of the three.

I believe that Penn made more of these than advertised. The Limited Edition production run of these reels was stated at 440 reels but more than that were made. I have no idea how many more but I suspect these were sold until parts became depleted rather than until the number 440 was met, that is why extra parts are floating around. I own one of these;

Not a perfect one but it is nice;

What is interesting about mine is what brings me to comment about the spare parts that are floating around. As I said, only 440 of these were supposed to made to satisfy the Limited Edition production of 1982 but the serial number on mine kind of blows up that production claim;

I also own a spare gold plated molded cross bar that I got some years ago on EBay and I have seen others for sale.

These extras have been floating around for a very long time and most definitely bring out the worst in some sellers. I have seen more than one International 50 with the gold cross bar for sale and being presented as a 50th Anniversary reel. A true 50th Anniversary model has the Zebra Wood handle knob, a serial numbered inscribed tail plate and the gold bar. There are many fakes.

These reels were for sale for quite awhile after 1982. Mine was used as a prize in a tournament in Jacksonville, Florida many years after the reels were introduced;

So, I guess we may never know just how many were made but they are certainly a fine centerpiece in a modern day Penn collection.

broadway

Correct me if I'm wrong, I forget which anniversary it was 50th or 75th, but the first 250 reels came with a framed/ numbered print of a marlin/ sailfish and also came with a commemorative coin.
For sure one of the anniversary reels did because I'm having that coin embedded some where in my reel display my buddy is making (Very Slowly:(). Some knucklehead broke up a set and sold the coin individually on ebay, so I'm giving it a good home.  ;)
Thanks,
Dom
Ps- I can tell the one on ebay is a fake, but nice of Dan to point it out to others that may have gotten sucked in.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI forget which anniversary it was 50th or 75th, but the first 250 reels came with a framed/ numbered print of a marlin/ sailfish and also came with a commemorative coin.

That would be the 75th Anniversary.

broadway

Thanks mike! I knew it was one of 'em
Dom