Kings and Mangos

Started by Newell Nut, January 30, 2015, 12:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

The kings are still around chasing the bait schools and the mangos have moved back in. The kings were thick and several of us loaded up on them. Got tired of that and gave the mangos a try and got surprised with mangos and muttons biting. I forgot my camera but you go to the Pasitme site and in the center of the page in red letters "click here to see what we catch every day" and you can see some pics by date. http://pastimeprincess.com/

Another amazing them is that Capt Al caught a nice gag grouper on his vermilion double rig. Those little 1/0 eagle claw hooks have brought in some really nice fish.

conchydong

Newell Nut, what rigs do you normally take on that head boat? Of course, I understand, they may vary per season and targeted species.

Scott

Newell Nut

Captain Al has taught me to fish for what is biting and it varies from trip to trip so he and I usually have five rigs. His differs from mine because he does not have the strength for a big bottom fish fight trying to get them from the reef before a cutoff.
I have my main bottom rig which is my Newell 540 3.2 with 60 lb mono and if the water clarity is good then I use an 8 ft 40lb fluorocarbon leader and 6/0 hook. On top of the swivel is a 6 oz egg weight.
I have another rod with a Newell 533 5.5 with 40 mono and a light wire rig for flat lining for kings. I have a Newell 332 -5 with 30 mono for flat lining for mangos with a 30 lb leader and a weighted. I have a conflict 8000 spinner with a Viking jig to cast for kings, I have a Fin Nor LT 100 with 30 mono and it is rigged with a weighted hook and it will have a whole squid on it for the mahi or cobia that swims by and it just sits in the rack waiting for fast action.

When AJs start to show up then I like to use my Newell 631 with 80 mono and also use this one when grouper season opens.

The other rig that Al will use a lot for vermilions is a double rig using 1/0 gold eagle claw hooks and they sit about 15 ft above a 10 oz bank sinker. This rig catches vermilions, trigger fish, cobias, kings and anything else that wants a taste of cut squid. He fishes all Newells and has for the past 30 years.

This is our way for this area.

My best advice for anyone wanting to fish the party boat successfully is to bring a bottom rig with no more than 40 mono and a double rig with gold 1/0 eagle claw hooks which will guarantee you some stringer fish and also you will catch some very nice bait fish for your heavy rig as I described above with my 540 3.2. Guys on a budget will have a penn 4/0 for this rig.