bypass e or c clip on belleville washer side?

Started by HappyHookerAUS, January 31, 2015, 10:04:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HappyHookerAUS

how can you say it doesn't, the pressure is all transmitted back into that shaft, wether pulling or pushing, how do you think the belville washers get squashed for drag curves. because there is side load there, they sit ontop of a shim or washer then that washer is on top of the bearing, its all transmitted down the line and ends to this bearings does it not?

Robert Janssen

Sorry for delay... been busy and won't really have time or energy for a lengthy or detailed response.

Well, the thing to consider is that lever drag reels have two states of being: freespool, and in drag.

When a lever drag reel is in drag, there is always an axial force being applied. That is quite simply how the reels work nowadays. It is in their nature. This is true for the overwhelmingly vast majority of lever drag reels produced, whether modified or not, sleeved or not, pull-bar, push-bar, live axle, twin-drag or not.

And, in the case of the TLD and its clones, any and all axial forces are eventually directed through the pinion bearing to the drag disc to the spool flange, through the spool and to the outer race of the ball bearing in the spools left hand side. From there it goes from the bearings outer race to the inner race, via the balls. And finally, on to the belleville washers and a dead end. That the spool bearings inner race is perhaps supported in one way or another matters not, since the axial forces are directed from an outer race to an inner race. Ergo, so-called bearing crunch. In this specific case, the axial force is shared equally between the left spool bearing and the pinion bearing. The spools right-hand bearing sees very little or no load at all, and any spacers or sleeves thereinbetween are completely irrelevant.

Further, keep in mind that if the situation were considered from the other end of the shaft, it will quickly be seen that the accumulated supports or sleeves end up pushing in thin air, thusly: Shaft end > bellevilles > left spool bearings inner race > bearing sleeve > right spool bearing inner race > coil spring... it ends there. Bellevilles pushing on a coil spring does little good. Trust me, the Bellevilles win every time.

When a lever drag reel is in freespool, a very slight axial force is brought upon the left and right spool bearings, by the drag disc seperating spring. A bearing sleeve or proximative stops in the form of e-clips or steps in the shaft in this instance alleviates this axial force and allows for a freer freespool. That is all.

It will seem obvious to many that the above also applies to a multitude of common reels, differing only in the number of bearings affected and their position in the reel. There is always bearing crunch somewhere. That is how it works.

Trust me; I've done this a thousand times.

Spend some time with it; you'll see.

Smols

Robert - I have a TLD 15 that has the tilting to the right issue, and from reading your post in this thread, I understand that the clip or bearing sleeve are supposed to allow for greater free spool and nothing else. So.... if I get significantly more free spool with the c clip removed (still not sure why this is), is it ok to use the reel without it? Since the clip offers no protection from axial loads on the bearings, and since i get better performance without it, I assume it is ok.