14/0 Beat Up N Broken Down....But Not Out Of It Yet

Started by Tightlines667, February 01, 2015, 06:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

I just cracked this 14/0 open and thought I'd share my findings....

Just about all of the head plate internals were frozen to the spool.

Just placed an order for $240 in parts including:
New drag stack, handle, gear set (SS), bridge and sleeve, jack, yoke, bearings, clicker ring, braces, clamp and a few screws.  At least the spool wasn't warped, and no cracked rings.  She will live to fight again.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Customer actuslly caught a 60lb Ono (Wahoo) on it last week.  He was wondering why it felt a bit 'rough' and wouldn't shift out of gear. 

Theres your problem right there.
Hope springs eternal

Alto Mare

Tells you a lot about these reels, still able to bring in the fish, considering its condition.
It appears that reel was never opened from the first day he got it ;D.
John, where are you getting the ss gear set from? The pinion I know about, but not the main gear.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Well,
Maybe after shelling out the cash for the repairs, he will take better care of her from now on!
I tear mine down after every trip. ;)
Life is Good!

redsetta

QuoteTells you a lot about these reels, still able to bring in the fish...
x2
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 01, 2015, 01:30:57 PM
John, where are you getting the ss gear set from? The pinion I know about, but not the main gear.

I ordered the gear set from Scott's.  It states that the older  main has been replaced by a newer stainless steel gear.  This is news to me as well.  We will see once the set arrives, if it is actually stainless
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Let me know John. It has that stainless sheen to it.
Life is Good!

CapeFish

Tightlines667

The new Chinese made 117L s sell for about $500.  Used 14/0s w/the high capacity spools can be had for $300-$400.  Figure customer has a reel worth $75-$100 as is.  With new parts and service he will be into it for $315-$335 .  Right at the cusp of being worth it to fix.  Having said that, this 20+ year old reel will fish for many more years.  Alternatively, if he scraps the reel (I offered him $100 for it) and buys a used 14/0 for $300, it will likely cost him around $100-$125 to upgrade drag stack, bearings and service, so hes into it for $425-$100 trade in value =$325...about the same.  So, seems to me that servicing his old reel will be a better deal for him since his reel will have many more new parts.  True, he could spend about $200 more for a brand new chinese made 14/0, but do that twice and now you've got 4 working reels instead of 2.  I think it makes sense to bring these old girls back from the dead, and I know they will continue to perform.
Hope springs eternal

BMITCH

I can't see why the old gears can't be saved ::) a little elbow grease and some polishing compound ;D
luck is the residue of design.

Tightlines667

My parts arrived today. 

Daron the main gear appears to be stainless steel.  Appears to be the same material as the pinion.
Hope springs eternal

crackerman

I looked at scotts bt. It says all 117 gears are stainless now. I wish someone would say that a about the 116L...

Shark Hunter

Well Crap! Now I gotta get some! ;D Thanks John. It looks like that gear is milled to the bottom for the eared washers. That's a good thing.
Cracker, the steel ones for the 116L are tough as nails!
Life is Good!