113HN - Fiber Washer Replacement

Started by maine guide, February 01, 2015, 01:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maine guide

I read through the tutorials. Did anyone ever find a carbontex or ht-100 substitute for the fiber washer under the main gear?  If not, and you do keep the fiber washer in there, is there any value to greasing the fiber washer with cal's or does that cause any problems?  Thanks all for the tremendous help over the years.

George4741

That fiber washer is part #4-155, the same washer that Penn uses in many of their reels with the smaller gear sleeve.  Any HT100 washer that we normally use on those gear sleeves will work for the Baja Special.  I use a 6-49 (HT100 from a 49) on mine, but the 6-113 and others will fit.  I think the small carbontex washer that Smoothdrag includes with their Penn 140 set will fit very nicely, as it is approximately the same size as the 4-155.  I imagine a few of the other forum members will want to use a Delrin washer.   

George
viurem lliures o morirem

handi2

With mine and other very similar Penn reels I just keep the original washer being that it's so small.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

If you're concerned on size, you will definitely be better off with the delrin washer there... to each his own.
All of the reels that I use have Delrin washers, all that I work on  also have them, I believe in them.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

JC

Hello,

I've looked all over and can't find what the width of the under gear delrin washer should be. I have a 113h with the ht-100 drag setup. Could someone please let me know? Thanks in advance for the feedback and thanks to everyone posting all this useful info on here.

-Jeremy

Bryan Young

JC,

We use an under gear washer from SmoothDrag.   In the application, it's much better.  Send SmoothDrag an email at info@SmoothDrag.com.

The washer is 0.76 mm or 0.030" thick.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

George4741

JC, if you want to use a carbontex washer, then Smoothdrag's #5 washer will fit nicely.  It is approximately the same size as the 4-155 it's replacing.  I think that is the same one Bryan is recommending. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

At the rate we're going, those might be out of stock soon, looks like only a few are still requesting them. :-\
An Acetal washer is the washer to use there, you will be better off.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Sal, if you mean Smoothdrag's #5 washer, then I'd better order some now.  I think their Penn 155 set has four of them in the package.  I'll just order several sets of those and I'll be good to go for a long time. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Alto Mare

George, whatever you're happy with. I've sent out rolls of the Acetal with great feedback.
If you believe the the washer for under the gear should act as a friction washer instead as a bearing, then that is the one you would want.
I'm installing the Acetal washer on all of my reels, but i'm doing it gradually. I strongly believe the Acetal is a better choice, but I'm not twisting anyone's arm.
I don't think the #5 washer will ever be out of stock, just a comment from the many feedback I've been getting about the Acetal.
Sal

George4741

Jeremy, I should have read your post more carefully.  I thought you were talking about the Baja Special, but I believe you are referring to the 113H.  As you may know, the washers are different sizes between those reels.  Sorry for the misinformation. 
viurem lliures o morirem