International 30, 1st Gen - HELP

Started by Capt. Bob Pastor, February 02, 2015, 10:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. Bob Pastor

Greetings Everyone,

I came across an old model 30 (1st Gen) and a couple of 114H's in my father's attic. I finally got the 30 all apart and, internally, all the parts look and work great. The only problem is that a couple of the post screws and bridge screw are corroded in place on the handle side plate. They sheared off as I was taking it apart and might as well be welded to the side plate. I've tried everything (PB blaster, impact screwdriver, heat) and they won't budge. I've scratched the side plate up pretty good in the process.

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a new handle side plate (1-30), screws, and drag washer since all the other parts look new.

Here's my dilemna: The new plate does not have a click tongue bushing. The old plate does, but there is no nut holding it in place. Is it pressed in? Is there some trick in order to remove it and put it in the new plate? Or do I have to get a whole new click button assy?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Capt. Bob Pastor
Tight Lines,
Capt. Bob Pastor

alantani

if it's the part i'm thinking of, then it should be pressed in.  photos would help to make sure.  i also have some international bars that are 2.436 inches long. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

The clicker assembly (36C-50) is threaded into the sideplate (standard thread 'righty tighty' from the inside of the head plate).  Often times on older reels electrolisis /corrosion has sort of fused this part in place.  Try to mount the clicker in a vise and unscrew using the side plate or a lever attached to the side plate to generate torque.  If you do manage to get it out, you may end up having damaged threads and need to replace it anyways.  You are lucky that Scotts still has the complete older clicker assembly for this reel in stock.  You may just want to order a new one to put in your new side plate.  Also, I would order a new set of Bellevilles if you havn't done so already, since the old ones may have lost some of their springiness, and this will ensure a proper drag curve with your upgraded drags, a few spool shaft shims (call them for part #) might be useful as well (in case fine tuning spacing is needed).  

Also, I'm not sure what replacement/upgraded CF drag you ordered, but be aware thst if you had to order a new drive plate, you also need a new pinion gear.  Hopefully you were able to procure just the drag disc (6A-30), and this is not needed?  Read about the change here...

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Technical/Int-20-30-DrivePlate-Pinion-Change.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Capt. Bob Pastor

It is definitely a press fit. There is no nut and I can see where it is pressed in under magnification. It seems to be corroded in place. Any ideas?
Tight Lines,
Capt. Bob Pastor

Capt. Bob Pastor

Here's what it looks like.
Tight Lines,
Capt. Bob Pastor

Tightlines667

Bob,
Those clickers always give me headaches on the gen 1 reels.  Thats a tough one.  If it were me, I would order a complete clicker assembly (36C-50), the second gen older style one, and try to install it in your new side plate.  If the side plate is gen 1, the hole diameter should be small enough to allow you to install.  Maybe give Tony Dubeck at Penn a call, and he will set you up with the corect one.  I seem to recall having pressed out old click tongue bushings with a vice, and supporting the side plate with a deep socket that fits the inside diameter closely.  The bushing csn be pressed into the new sideplate, and 'welded' in place with a good metal binding agent (like thst made by loctite), if needed.  I have also modified gen 2 pawls to fit inside gen 1 bushings.  They need to be filled down, and shimmed.  I think a new clicker that matches your new side plate might save you the trouble here though.  I'd give penn a call to confirm though.  I suspect your new side plate has a larger diameter clicker bushing hole in it, and may need a different part anyways.  There are 2 generations of the origional International side plates, and your new one is likely gen2.  If this is the case, the good news is there are still comparable clicker parts for it, and you will be able to get a new loud clicker.  As well as be able to replace it later if you wear it down.

Hope that helps?
Hope springs eternal

Capt. Bob Pastor

It was definitely a push-in. I used a vise and a couple of sized sockets to get it out and install in the new side plate.

Everything went back together, but the reel doesn't seem to be working correctly. When I crank, I can feel and hear the gears meshing inside. I haven't put any line on it yet, so I don't know if the drag is working correctly, but it seems like the free spool is not. Any ideas?
Tight Lines,
Capt. Bob Pastor

Tightlines667

I'm glad you got the clicker sorted out.  As far as your gear issue, sounds like a spacing problem to me.  I would read through my previous post

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10116.0

If you havn't already done so, about final tuning and shimming of internationals.  It is a problem solving and trial by error sort of thing.  Check for play between the drive shaft and bushing (torsional and laterial).  Mount the pinion (w/o spool) in the pinion bearing and test the reel.  Ensure the gears are engaging properly and clearing the ratchet plate (if not u need to shim at bellevilles), the pinion bearing, etc.  A little shimming (less then 3-0.3mm shims total) in the right spot will likely solve the issue.
Hope springs eternal