Our first Senator, 9/0

Started by coastal_dan, February 02, 2015, 01:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Bit the bullet on a local 9/0, deal was too good to pass up and I wanted a neat shelf piece.  I love the history that follows these guys around...I bought it from the original owner who was a 6-pack captain in the same marina I use to be a mate (but there was about 20 years difference in our times there).  My only plans are to dismantle, clean, and mount to a 'plinthe'.  Really in nice shape, and oh man the dog sounds awesome...very heavy duty compared to my Jigmaster, ha.  Thanks to Shark Hunter for his input as well.

P.S. - Free rod to anyone interested, Shakespeare 30-80 Alpha with a Aftco roller Tip, decent condition and the foam grips are nearly perfect.  Not interested in shipping but if you are local come on over :)

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Aiala

Grand old reel, and LOVE the cute little anglerette! Such a sweetie... what's her name?  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

coastal_dan

This is Leah, and she is my heart and soul.  We are amazed everyday at the capability of a 2 year old; new words, gestures and actions are a daily occurrence.  Also, as corny as it sounds, hearing her initiate the "I love you" on her own is priceless.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Aiala

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 02, 2015, 03:56:04 PM
This is Leah, and she is my heart and soul.  We are amazed everyday at the capability of a 2 year old; new words, gestures and actions are a daily occurrence.  Also, as corny as it sounds, hearing her initiate the "I love you" on her own is priceless.

It sounds like she's already got Daddy firmly wrapped. You go, Leah!  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MattT21

Dan,
I would love to take that rod off ypur hands. I will send you a PM.

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

SoCalAngler

I'm just wondering what would be a fare price for a 9/0 in this condition or maybe even a little better. Also it's hard for me to tell in the pics of a reel on the net that I'm looking at but do all of the 9/0's have the picture plate? The one I'm looking at is also black but in their pics I cant see the picture on the plate. I'm not asking what you paid coastal_dan rather what would be a good price to pay. Thanks in advance

Edit the reel I'm looking at has its rod clamp & rod brace and what looks to be a black leather zippered case.

Shark Hunter

Mark,
I've bought at least two dozen of these. All in great shape. I've given them to my Brother and my Uncle and my man Fred. I didn't give more than a Benjamin for any of them.
Life is Good!

coastal_dan

No sweat, I have no issue giving the price.  Ended up paying $90 for the rod and reel, to me the rod was bonus and I have no intent on using this combo, hence sending it to MattT21   ;D  Keep an eye on craigslist.com, many folks don't really know what they've got, or don't care and just want some extra coin.  Good Luck.
Dan from Philadelphia...

SoCalAngler

Thanks for your input guys. I didn't mean to hijack your thread Dan.

coastal_dan

Nope not a hijack at all, just another nice branch of the this sites tree of knowledge.  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

Gave it a shot last night...

Not sure this has ever been taken apart...the asbestos discs were completely fused with the metal washers...and ZERO grease can be seen inside, Haha.  I don't think it was fished hard though, the eccentric spring wasn't correctly 'set'...

Most of the metal parts are now sitting in Simple Green to get rid of the funky black gunk and the tiny bit of build up.

My plan is to just re-assemble and spend no money...but man it's HARD!  When reassembling should I put some Cal's on the asbestos dics and metal washers and not even worry about it?  For me this will be only a 'Plinth Rider' so no fishing, just want to grease it to keep it fresh...
Dan from Philadelphia...

UKChris

Plinth rider - rather like a drawer queen, but out in the open!

I would keep it clean and simple as I did with a 9/0 I bought and which became a shelf poser  ;)
I took a gamble based on a crummy photo that seemed to show crud 'n' rust all over everything. It was the original grease that had oozed out and dried in place. I think it had never been used. The photo must have scared others away 'cos it was cheap(ish).
Cleaned up a treat. Hardly a scratch or blemish.
Luvverly poser - red handle to go with the lightly used green handle one (port and starboard  :D) I already had - but now I need one to use!

bluefish69

I have 6 reels that are riding the Plinth. All of them Have New Drag Washers with Cal's Grease. They are all ready to use at a moments notice. I used HT-100 in 4 & Bryan's Kit in the 6/0 all greased & ready.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Lots of Plinth Riding going on in this post! :D
Life is Good!