49L Spool question...

Started by Aiala, February 02, 2015, 05:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 02, 2015, 09:48:07 PM
Aiala will let us know for sure what it was at some point. ;D

Sal, perhaps so, but at this juncture Aiala is 100% flummoxed.  :-\

Bryan, to answer your question, the raspy sound definitely sounds like the spool hitting something; it has that hollow aluminum timbre (or at least to my ear it does.) As for the bushing(s), I'm pretty certain I checked that first thing.

When the new spool gets here (I got it on eBay, not Scott's) we'll see what's what. Meantime, I do appreciate all the learned input! :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

The satisfaction of success...or agony of defeat.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 02, 2015, 11:30:25 PM
The satisfaction of success...or agony of defeat.
:D :D either would be ok with me, I got big shoulders and can handle the load ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

day0ne

Quote from: foakes on February 02, 2015, 05:56:28 PM
First thought would be an aftermarket upgrade for a 49.

Who made aluminum spools for Penn upgrades?  Newell, Tiburon, Accurate, some of the SanDiego or Southern California tackle stores? -- others?

Obviously not a Penn part.

I don't know. I've seen a lot of Penn spools with a 109 prefix stamped on them, especially jigmasters.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

akfish

I hate to keep saying the same thing, but this is common, at least in my shop where I see lots and lots of 49s (and have a half dozed rebuilt 49s for sale). The aluminum spool requires a different bridge than the older non-aluminum spools. You may also need a new right side bushing (26-60) and, if the rings are cracked on the right side plate, the side plate may be warped. But odds are the bridge/spool combination is the problem.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 02, 2015, 09:48:07 PM
Aiala will let us know for sure what it was at some point .

Okay, here's the latest: I received the spool I ordered from eBay, which came in this Penn box:

So, I opened it up and discovered that, lo and behold, it was exactly the same as the one I already had, numbers and all.  :o

Horrors!  >:(

Full of trepidation and angst, I installed it in my 49L, and it worked perfectly, spinning like a tornado! 

Just to make sure that I wasn't losing my mind, I tried the original one again and sure enough, it rasped to a halt the instant I tipped the reel to the handle side.

WTF?   ???

Well, not being a fan of insoluble mysteries, I'd like to donate the mystery spool to one of our experts (I'll pay shipping) to see if they can figure out what on earth is going on. Any takers?   :)

~A~

MarkT

Are they the same?  Width and diameter of spool, length and diameter of arbor?  Something has be off.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

Quote from: MarkT on February 06, 2015, 06:27:55 PM
Are they the same?  Width and diameter of spool, length and diameter of arbor?  Something has be off.

Mark, everything appears to be exactly the same... part #s as well... mirror image! That's why I am so mystified.  :-\

~A~