49L Spool question...

Started by Aiala, February 02, 2015, 05:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

"Roll uuuuuuuuuuuuup,
Roll up for the Mystery Spool!"

Okay, enough dating myself... ahem!  ;D

Anyway, I bought this aluminum spool to upgrade my 49L from the metal spool, but upon installation I discovered that although it seemed to fit and spun freely, when I tilted the reel to the right (handle side down) it made a rasping sound and quickly stopped revolving. Obviously something was rubbing, but darned if I can figure out what's wrong. The only clue I found was the number stamped on the spool (#109149, see pic below) which is NOT what's listed on Scott's 49L schematic (#29L-49).

Soo... calling all experts: What've I got here? (BTW, I already ordered a replacement 29L-49 spool... hope that wasn't a costly blunder.)  :P

Thank you!   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Hi Aiala --

Don't know for sure.

First thought would be an aftermarket upgrade for a 49.

Who made aluminum spools for Penn upgrades?  Newell, Tiburon, Accurate, some of the SanDiego or Southern California tackle stores? -- others?

Obviously not a Penn part.

The new part from Scotts will more than likely solve the issue.

In the meantime -- who knows about this spool?. Possibly Randy, or?

On the 49-149-349 reels, of course the 349 is the heaviest duty in terms of components, gears, etc.

However, the 49 is a much stronger reel than a 149.

49 & 149 spools will interchange -- 349s are different -- designed for deep dropping, deep trolling, sometimes wire line, etc.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

MarkT

Aftermarket spool with the right spool shaft a little short?  Maybe okay if the right bearing/bushing is shimmed?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

Hi, Fred.

Geez, if you are stumped, I'm in trouble.  :(

BUT I just noticed this at the bottom of Scott's 49L parts list page:

"Much older reels may have a slightly different spool and pinion gear (shaft design different)
Examine your old spool if you are intending to change EITHER of these parts.
If the spool has lines like spokes radiating out from the shaft where the pinion gear sits on the spool,
then you would need to change both spool and pinion
13 13-49 PINION
29L 29L-49 SPOOL
"

Do you think that's applicable to my situation?   ???

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Alto Mare

Aiala, that might be a Penn spool from earlier models. I had some old 49's and one did have an aluminum spool similar to yours, I remember being surprised seeing it on that early model. I can't double check, all I have left is an older 49 and a new one, both with metal spools.
if you've tilted the reel to the handle side, it might not be the spool, there is a good chance you need a new right side bushing, but make sure yours is tight first. Also, I see a nick on the inside of the spool lip, try  filing it down a bit.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

Hi Aiala --

Could work, but always go with the simplest solution first -- then work through the process of elimination.

If you need the pinion, after talking to Scott's on the phone, order it so they can drop it in the same box with your spool.  Then if it is not needed -- you can return it down the road for credit on your next order.

Also could be, you just need a different pinion -- obviously cheaper.

And I am not an expert -- there are many more knowledgeable folks on this Board when it comes to Penns.  Sal, Lee, Bryan, Alan, Bill in Alaska, Keith, and many more.

I just do what I do the best I can -- and trial and error is a big part of our craft.

I just muddle through with things I am familiar with -- and it is always easier when the reel is on one's bench.

Let us know how you make out with this little problem.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Not disagreeing with Fred, the man is an encyclopedia ;D. I've mentioned the bushing because that would be the cheapest and simpler way to go, they're only $6 and it's what makes sense to me. Could be other things, but I don't believe a pinion would have anything to dowith what you've explained above, but I could be wrong.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

When you say raspy sound, is it the spool hitting the side plate or the pinion?  If it's the pinion, it could very well be the two tabs on the eccentric need to be bet up a little more.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

I see this all the time. The problem is with the bridge. The earlier bridge had a shallow bevel on the bottom; new ones are beveled significantly more so they miss the aluminum spool. If you don't want to spring for a new bridge, you can file down the bevel on the older bridge. It's simple to do but takes a few minutes.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Alto Mare

Yeah, I've run in a few bridge and jacks that were butchered with a file, those might be the guys that are too cheap to spend 5-6 dollars for a new right side bushing ;D.

Bryan Young

Sal, it's not the bushing, it's the bridge.  Come to think of it, I had to do that to several reels before.  I would grease the bridge and run the spool and where the grease rubbed is where I needed to grind down.

Alto Mare

Yep, its the bridge caused by the bad bushing ;)

Bryan Young

Not always.

Some spools clear the bridge without a problem.  Some, with support veins like Aiala's spool are not so lucky. 

Alto Mare

In this case I would say there is a very good chance. You need to take everything in consideration. Aiala wanted to replace the spool, the gears were doing fine at that point, when she received the aluminum spool she experienced some rubbing  when she tilted the reel to the right. The brass spool has usually less clearance than the aluminum spool, due to its shape. Yes, it could be the tip of the bridge or the tip of the jack, but as stated above there is a good chance that it might just be the right side bushing. Don't count it out and i won't count the bridge out , but the new bushing needs to be tested first ;D.
Aiala will let us know for sure what it was at some point .;D