Jigmaster question

Started by tinboat814, February 02, 2015, 06:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinboat814

Hi everyone I'm getting into upgrading older penn's and I was curious about a jigmaster with a tib frame and all stainless internals (gears, bridge, double dog, yoke) and upgraded drag could handle. I plan on using it for bottom fishing the gulf to around 200'. Occasionally I run into 20# grouper and aj's. I know a 113h wouldn't have any issues with that workload, but I was curious about the jigmaster. Thanks in advance Tony.

Alto Mare

You might get different answers, mine would be yes, with the upgrades you've mentioned, that reel could handle a 20# fish. Did you get the 4:1 gears from Black Pearl? I'm not so sure the 5:1 would do.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

tinboat814

I haven't gotten the gears yet. I was curious to see if this is a project worth undertaking and thank you for the help Alto. Your reel is the a beautiful piece of equipment, and after reading your threads I know you know what your talking about. I will have to get ahold black pearl for the gear set.

nelz

Back in the 80's, I used to diamond jig for bluefish up North with a stock Jigmaster with no issues. Some of those "gator" blues went 20 lbs and pound for pound they are the hardest of fighters. Btw, the reel's still going strong.

DaBigOno

Quote from: tinboat814 on February 02, 2015, 06:55:58 PM
Hi everyone I'm getting into upgrading older penn's and I was curious about a jigmaster with a tib frame and all stainless internals (gears, bridge, double dog, yoke) and upgraded drag could handle. I plan on using it for bottom fishing the gulf to around 200'. Occasionally I run into 20# grouper and aj's.

Aloha Tony, Welcome. 

for an extra $28, i would also add Bryan's 5+1 Drag set.   
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

tinboat814

Hey thanks DaBigOno!

How much smooth drag does the 5+1 have (12-15?)

tinboat814

Quote from: nelz on February 02, 2015, 07:39:03 PM
Back in the 80's, I used to diamond jig for bluefish up North with a stock Jigmaster with no issues. Some of those "gator" blues went 20 lbs and pound for pound they are the hardest of fighters. Btw, the reel's still going strong.

This is good news to hear looks like I have a new project

MarkT

A stock Jigmaster with ht-100 drag washers will handle a 20# AJ or YT.  A tricked out model will certainly handle it.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Quote from: tinboat814 on February 03, 2015, 02:11:05 PM
Hey thanks DaBigOno!

How much smooth drag does the 5+1 have (12-15?)
Aloha Tony and welcome.

I'm not sure if I understand your question, but will try my best to respond.

A stock 3 stack drag set will get you about 12#-15# of drag.  I've seen people also fish them at 18# which is perfectly capable for a 15# - 20# mono fishing reel.  With the inception of braided lines, people now fish these reels with 50# - 65# braided lines with an assortment of top shots based on the fishing technique for the day.  So, if you need a little more drag or would like smoother drag at lower settings, my drag stack will do this. as my stacks have 2 additional drag surfaces.

The cost is $27 shipped.  PM me if you are interested, or post if you have any further questions.

Thank you and welcome,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DaBigOno

Quote from: MarkT on February 03, 2015, 03:17:57 PM
A stock Jigmaster with ht-100 drag washers will handle a 20# AJ or YT.  A tricked out model will certainly handle it.

Your right about that Mark, I agree that a bone stocked Jigmaster can handle a 20 pound AJ/YT.  

But; if he's gonna upgrade to an aluminum frame, SS internals and a bigger handle; why stop $27 short of the full monty?

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 03, 2015, 03:40:17 PM
....my drag stack will do this. as my stacks have 2 additional drag surfaces.

That they do, thank you for making these available to us Bryan.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broschro

I'm getting a smooth 22# pulling right off the reel with all the up grades.my 113h with Bryn's  drag kit get's a whopping 42#s pulling off the reel. if you like the old penns and all the upgrades available you have come to the right place ;D

kmstorm64

I had a set of 5:1 gears and wasn't happy with them and switched back tot he stock gears.  Personnel preference.
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

broschro

what did you not like about the 5:1 gears ???

fIsHsTiiCkS

I use the jigmaster as my primary reel. That thing has taken anything you can throw at. I #30 and #40 test flour top shots with braid backing. These perform flawlessly. I mainly use it for yt and yft fishing with no problems. I have ALL the available upgrades and Its an amazing reel