Penn USA 113N

Started by CooldadE, February 02, 2015, 11:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CooldadE

Has anyone gotten their hands on one of these reels ? I would love to see one cracked open by one of our many great reel mechanics...
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Three se7ens

I'm interested too, the specs look really good. It's pretty much everything we do to hotrod the 113h, straight from the factory with a warranty.

Bryan Young

It should be the same as the 113HN (Baja Special)...I though we had one on the site but I cannot seem to find it.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Three se7ens on February 02, 2015, 11:15:58 PM
I'm interested too, the specs look really good. It's pretty much everything we do to hotrod the 113h, straight from the factory with a warranty.
Adam, the 113H is a different reel, the 113n US has a floating spool that makes it a great reel for casting, live bait and dropping  weight deep, quickly. The 113H has more horse power ...thanks to you.
Both are great reels, some might say the US Senator is a better reel, I could say that personally I don't think so, but I'm not going to because that's not what this thread is about. ;D 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

They are exactly like the Baja Special internally. I have pictures of the internals and will try to find them.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

CooldadE

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 03, 2015, 12:43:12 AM
Quote from: Three se7ens on February 02, 2015, 11:15:58 PM
Adam, the 113H is a different reel, the 113n US has a floating spool that makes it a great reel for casting, live bait and dropping  weight deep, quickly. The 113H has more horse power ...thanks to you.
Both are great reels, some might say the US Senator is a better reel, I could say that personally I don't think so, but I'm not going to because that's not what this thread is about. ;D 
Thanks for the input...With out starting a new thread I would like to know Sal why you think the 113H has more horse power ? I'm still learning and appreciate the plethora of Penn knowledge you and others on this site have and share.
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

SoCalAngler

They look the same to me.
http://www.pennfishing.com/Parts/PENN-parts,default,pg.html

Penn even states:

•MADE IN THE USA
•1 piece machined aluminum frame
•Forged, machined, and anodized aluminum spool
•Stainless steel main and pinion gear
Live Spindle with free floating spool
•HT-100™ carbon fiber drag washers
•6 shielded stainless steel ball bearings
•Line Capacity Rings  

MarkT

I'll take a Baja Special over a tricked out 113h! You can improve the drags but not the casting ability. The live spindle puts the 113n over the top. 30# of drag is way more than you need to fish 50# which is the max I'd put on one. Compared to a 113h, it also comes with better drags, a narrow topless frame and a better handle.  All of which can be added to a standard 113h but then you'd be paying more than for the newer tech and still not cast as well. I like the original black 113hn's better than the new ones with silver frames but that's just cosmetic.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

MarkT

Okay, then I agree that the 113N is the same as the original 113HN except for the color of the frame and the line capacity rings in the spool.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

phillyguy

US Senator has a serviceable handle knob (handle knob can be removed), the Baja does not. 

Maxed Out

The us-113n also claims to have 27# of drag right outta the box....Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's more that a standard 113H or HN.....and the us-113 series is made in the USA, which still means something to me. I plan on buying a standard width us-113 and fish it side by side with the custom insert 113H tank sal built. The halibut will let me know which is a better reel for my application. (bottom fishing 600-800' with 2.5 pounds of lead). IMO The us-113 will have to go thru years of sea trials to get anywhere close to the great track record of the original 113H and 113HN. Only time will tell.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 03, 2015, 05:50:52 PM
   The us-113n also claims to have 27# of drag right outta the box....Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's more that a standard 113H or HN.....and the us-113 series is made in the USA, which still means something to me. I plan on buying a standard width us-113 and fish it side by side with the custom insert 113H tank sal built. The halibut will let me know which is a better reel for my application. (bottom fishing 600-800' with 2.5 pounds of lead). IMO The us-113 will have to go thru years of sea trials to get anywhere close to the great track record of the original 113H and 113HN. Only time will tell.

Keep in mind an older 113 tanked up with slower gears might be best of all for bottom fishing. The USA Senator puts an emphasis on casting and retrieving (it was built just for that) and may be a little fast or benefit from an aftermarket handle.

Can confirm that it is identical internally to the original 113HN seen in Alan's original Tutorial other than the handle.

Here are some shots of the Handle:

Number 10 Torx:

Small slotted head on the inside:

With a touch of Blue Loctite and a small washer (not shown):

But this ability is nice (you can properly lube it). No bearings at all:

The key differences between a Tank 113H and the USA Senator:

1. Bearing support for the Main Gear and Handle. This is ideal support at higher drag.

2. Live Spindle design = tremendously improved casting.

3. Factory Produced and not custom modded sideplates or main gears so probably a little better resale (ie Penn Warranty).

4. But the Dual Dogs of a Tank (especially with a Black Pearl bridge) are possibly a little better than the system in the USA Senator. This needs some time to establish.

5. Stock Stainless main and pinion in a USA Senator.

So, while I think the whole hot rodding idea of the Tank is just so much fun and very worthwhile, a USA Senator has it all done for you with a few extra goodies straight from the factory in Philadelphia.

:D

Three se7ens

The baja special gear sleeve is a bit smaller than the 113H gear sleeve, but it's cut with 4 flats instead of 2.  There isn't that much meat left on the threads where the drag star goes though.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Three se7ens on February 03, 2015, 09:19:59 PM
The baja special gear sleeve is a bit smaller than the 113H gear sleeve, but it's cut with 4 flats instead of 2.  There isn't that much meat left on the threads where the drag star goes though.

Bear in mind that one of Alan's sleeves is made to replicate the dimensions of the original brass, not oversize out of engineering concern. Pretty sure the gear sleeve in a USA Senator is engineered just right for the task as the many years of serve the originals have produced would indicate.