New member needs some help with an 80SW or two.

Started by Van, November 11, 2010, 10:21:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Van

So one day I got bored and decided I wanted to clean/lube an 80SW we have.  Took it all apart and only managed to lose one screw for the coupling plate.  ::) Anyhow, now that I am putting it back together I'm having a problem with the two speed shifting.  In free spool I can't turn the handle because it is binding in high gear? (the one with the handle furthest from the reel) I'm really not sure if it's high or low... but anyhow if I tighten the preset knob two full turns and push the drag to strike it works fine.  If I don't it either binds or wants to grind.  I thought maybe I put the bellvue washers in wrong because I wanted stronger drag options, but I took it back apart and put them the way Alan Tani says they come out in the 30 tutorial.  It still does it.  I have another 80SW and it wants to do the same thing but doesn't quite.  It will grind if I push the handle towards the reel, and if I pull it away it doesn't. (this is in free)

I could use some help because I'm really not sure what's going on. 

alantani

van, i'm not exactly sure what's going on, but it sounds like a spacing problem.  often a small washer, either up against the left side plate bearing, OR the right side plate bearing, will take care of this.  you should have four belleville washers.  first, try a "()()" configuration and see if that takes care of the binding issue. if the reel worked before and does not work now, then my next guess is that you lost a flat spacing washer somewhere.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Van

I have the 4 belleville washers in that config.  I am not 100% positive, but I don't think it had any spacing washers.  I did have a couple of 30s and 50s open around the same time though.  So where might I find a washer and what side should I put it on?  I think it might just be how they are designed.  It's like the handle isn't being pushed far enough out.  I guess I can always take the other one apart too and see how it is.

alantani

when you turn the preset knob clockwise, you are moving the right main side plate bearing laterally in and closer to the center of the reel.  you are increasing the drag that you get at strike.  you are also moving the spool farther away from the main gears. 

it sounds like the high speed main gear might be rubbing against the belleville washers or the spool because the problem goes away when your crank the preset knob clockwise and push the spool shaft, the pinion gears, the bellevilles and spool farther away from the main gears.  if this is the case, then a washer between the right main side plate bearing and the spool shaft might do the trick.   

Van

Well that sure seems to be the problem, but what I don't understand is why the handle/gears have so much play.  I can move the smaller gear like 1/16 of an inch by pushing and pulling the handle.

Also I can't seem to find a washer to use between the shaft and the bearing.

Van

I figured it out after comparing the one I took apart with the new one.  I didn't have the quadrant bushing (I think that's the name) fully seated.

Thanks for the help though.

Van

Oh, does anybody know where I can find some bearing seals? 

alantani

ugghhhhh!  you'd have to go back the bearing manufacturer for that one.  your most likely sole option would be to replace the bearing.  which one?  do you have dimensions?  alan

Van

No, I put them all back together already.  I plan on servicing them yearly, do you think I will have to worry if I just packed them with grease?

alantani

pack them with grease and you should be fine.  alan