Long Beach 66 Question

Started by JoePlo, February 04, 2015, 12:26:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 04, 2015, 02:50:23 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on February 04, 2015, 05:52:03 AM
Bryan's kit of seven will fit just fine, you should actually have some room left, but I don't recommend it, I would do as RowdyW mentioned.
Sal, you got my washer to fit 7?  I tried it on my 113 gear and I couldn't fit 7 in the gear...maybe I was using a different Carbontex washer at the time...I'll check it out this weekend as I'm on my way to Dallas tomorrow.
Yes!
Here is a pic with 7, as you could see, there is still room for a thick stock keyed washer

I'm liking your 7 washers better than the 5 HT100, now I could do what I really like.
Here is a pic with a Delrin belleville, instead on another metal keyed washer

and of course the Delrin for under the gear, can't beat this layout.
For those that wanted to give this a go, you'll need to use Black Pearl's custom spacer sleeve and you will also need to reduce the OD on the belleville as I'm showing, unless you could find the correct size

I have a press and doesn't take much for me to cut the belleville, but you could do it other ways.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

I love Bryan's thin washer sets and just finished the "last" mod on my 501 Super.

I use my belt sander to reduce the OD on metal and Delrin washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Thanks Sal.

I have to look at that again and make up kits for that set.  I may have been using a different, thicker Carbontex washer in my initial measurements.

Thank you,
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

You guys never cease to amaze...simple configurations and order can make such a huge difference...As the age old saying goes "The Devil is in the Details".  Thanks.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

JoePlo

Agreed. You all make my brain melt out of my ears when it comes to understanding the modded drags. From what I gather I plan on picking up 3x HT-100 drag washers to replace the old drag washers. Re-order the metal washers correctly. Attempt to put the spring washer that was under the star, into the drag assembly. Also replace at least the top post with a new one. Am I missing something? Easy to get lost in the drag mod mania when you are operating at apprentice level.

Keta

The spring washer works well both inside and out. 

Now more to add to your corn fusion.  On my 113H and 349H reels I prefer a Bellville spring washer under the star and if there's room between the top keyed washer and the side plate a second Bellville on top of the last keyed washer.  I'm starting to think a wavy spring washer is the best choice for smaller reels.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: JoePlo on February 04, 2015, 06:02:00 PM
Agreed. You all make my brain melt out of my ears when it comes to understanding the modded drags. From what I gather I plan on picking up 3x HT-100 drag washers to replace the old drag washers. Re-order the metal washers correctly. Attempt to put the spring washer that was under the star, into the drag assembly. Also replace at least the top post with a new one. Am I missing something? Easy to get lost in the drag mod mania when you are operating at apprentice level.
You guys are absolutely right, we move too fast and forget about the newer guys. Forget about the Delrin and lets start new.
In your gear at the moment you have (3) washers, the reason they work is that they're thick .
When replacing those (3) older washers, you will need to order (5) to make it work, the (5) new washers are much thinner than the older ones.
Your (5) washers should look similar to this:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-113HSP.aspx
These above are for the 113H, don't go by size, I'm only showing the configuration because Scotts is only showing (3) instead of (5)
You also have another option to go with Bryan's (7) kit.
I hope this helps , we're here to answer questions if you need us to.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

The original drag washers are 6-113 & uses 3 of them. If you use 6-60 drag washers they are thinner & you can use 5 of them & add 1 more eared washer & 1 more keyed washer to make up the stack. Using 5 of the original type 6-113 will not fit as far as the height.  Longbeach 60 & 65 models use 6-60 as the original washers. Longbeach 66,67, & 68 use 6-113 originally because they have a taller main gear.     RUDY

JoePlo

Thanks all for the tips. Completed the rebuild today and I am quite impressed. Reel is incredibly smooth and the drag seems nasty. Minus being sent a wrong size post the reel is complete. Due to the drag modification, the outside spring washer needed to be removed. I don't believe this is an issue? The drag can be backed off completely now and when tightened it seems you would sheer off gears before the drag let go.

foakes

Good job, Joe --

Those 66s are a great reel -- 6 posts -- narrow -- tall spool -- hard to beat.

There are plenty of upgrades -- but for now, that reel will catch plenty of fish.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.