Black 349

Started by theswimmer, February 04, 2015, 05:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theswimmer

Here is a couple of questions for the experts.
How do I date a 349?
Are all black 349s low speed models or are there some high speed models mixed in?
I seem to remember that all the red plate models are high speed, is this correct?
Thanks in advance as always.

JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Keta

Quote from: theswimmer on February 04, 2015, 05:43:13 PM
Here is a couple of questions for the experts.
How do I date a 349?
Are all black 349s low speed models or are there some high speed models mixed in?
I seem to remember that all the red plate models are high speed, is this correct?
Thanks in advance as always.

JT

1.  Others will know but I don't.
2.  No, I have 1 black 349, and several black 349H reels. 
3.  I have never seen a red 349, only 349H.  The only 349's I've seen without the AR dog disengaging lever were red 349H's.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

theswimmer

I have a red 349H but it is not marked H.
I counted the spool revolutions to figure out the gear ratio. ;D

I also have a black 349 at Grandpa's  cabin at Lake Almanor.
I will retrieve the black reel this summer as I have a feeling that it has never been serviced.
Besides the gear stack are there any internal differences?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Keta

All 349's are marked 349.

The easiest way to tell them apart is to take the star off and see if the drag stack can be easily removed, if the eared washers hang up on the frame it's a 349H.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Not sure how you would put an exact date on a 349....But here is some 349 details right from penn catalog #20 when the 349 was first introduced.

349 gear ratio 2.5-1

349C As 349 but with convertible star drag

349H gear ratio 3.25-1

349HC as 349H but with convertible star drag

These simple descriptions will give you 100% certainty of model number of your reel.

.....Then by mid 70's there were only 3 models according to catalog 36

349H

349HC
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Keta

But I have only seen side plates with 349 on them.

Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Quote from: Keta on February 04, 2015, 11:49:59 PM
But I have only seen side plates with 349 on them.

Not sure about the model stamped in the logo, but pay no attention to that. The H is high speed, and the C is convertible(knuckle buster mode)

If your 349 has only one shift lever and a 2.5-1 gear ratio, then it's a 349....if it has 2.5 gear ratio and 2 shift levers, then it's a 349C...if it has a 3.25 gear ratio with one shift lever it's a 349H....if it has 3.25 gear ratio with 2 shift levers it's a 349HC

Ok I'm officially outta breath now.  Hope this helps

Keta

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 05, 2015, 12:05:47 AM
  If your 349 has only one shift lever and a 2.5-1 gear ratio, then it's a 349....if it has 2.5 gear ratio and 2 shift levers, then it's a 349C...if it has a 3.25 gear ratio with one shift lever it's a 349H....if it has 3.25 gear ratio with 2 shift levers it's a 349HC

Thanks, I could never figure out the one and two lever model # as as I never had one that came with a box and they were all "349" reels.

Mark Twain

basto

Mine has a 3.25 gear ratio.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Keta

I have a black factory left hand double lever one.

Mark Twain

RowdyW

Lee, that reel seems familiar to me. Not many of them around.

Maxed Out

Quote from: basto on February 05, 2015, 12:11:44 AM
Mine has a 3.25 gear ratio.

Basto, that is one beautiful reel........in reel collectors lingo we call that a "shelfie". Too nice to fish. The 3.25 is high speed, and your beauty has just one shift lever which would make it a 349H.

Side Note: Extra spools for this reel are next to impossible to locate cause they do not interchange with other models(49, 149, 249).

Keta

Quote from: RowdyW on February 05, 2015, 12:48:51 AM
Lee, that reel seems familiar to me. Not many of them around.

One?   ;D

I replaced the bad parts and it's now fishable.  I considered a Newell aluminum spool for this reel but the $80.00-$90.00 price is too high.

Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: Max Doubt on February 05, 2015, 12:50:58 AM
    Side Note: Extra spools for this reel are next to impossible to locate cause they do not interchange with other models(49, 149, 249).

Yup, 1/3 of my 349's are mine due to warped spools.

Mark Twain

George4741

All of my 349's started out as a 349HC; meaning high speed, 2 levers.  It is one of the few Penn reels where you can change the gears to get a high or low speed retrieve.  I made one of my 349HC into a 349, or slow retrieve by replacing the gears.  I also replaced the sideplates with one-lever ones because I don't like the knucklebuster feature.  

Lee is right, all sideplates have the "349" number on them, regardless of model.  Once I saw a 349HC somewhere that had a small round sticker that said "high speed" or something like that.  It makes me wonder if all 349H and 349HC reels had that sticker from the Penn factory.    

I'm not sure how they can be dated.
viurem lliures o morirem