Penn 975 level wind problem

Started by AlohaDan, November 11, 2010, 11:35:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlohaDan

Earlier this year I used Alan's post about the Penn 975 lever drag to overhaul it.

About 2 months ago I started to experience a level wind problem. Line would start to build up on the right side as the traveler would not automatically go left from the right stop..

I've been using my left thumb to physically keep a left pressure on the line. This jury rig reel in works sometimes, but leads to an occassional birds nest.

Before I go back into the reel does anyone have a tip or two as to what to look for.( Level wind mech not in Alan's rebuild.)

Bryan Young

It's possible that you have a broken tooth in the guide gear.  It's usually make out of plastic so that it breaks if you get your fingers stuck in it.  Try check this item out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Pro Reel

If I understand your problem, the line guide stays on the right side of the reel, unless you you help it out with a push. If thats the case, then you have a worm gear / pawl problem. The worm gear is the long gear in the line guide tube. The pawl is a barrel shaped part with a moon key at the head. The moon key of the pawl rides in the grooves on the worm gear. The grooves croos at each end and this turns the pawl to force it into the next track to go the other direction. Sometimes the problem can be fixed by replacing just the pawl. Thats if the moon key part is simply worn down or chipped. Often, the problem starts with the pawl getting worn but if not replaced right away, it will jump out of track and round off the points at the ends of the gear and hten it will simply stay at one end. It's usually best to replace both the worm gear and the pawl.

alantani

the expensive answer is a new pawl and worm. 

there is a cheaper way to go.  first, check the worm and pawl for damage.  if it's not extensive, then find one of those leather hole punches.  then find one of those heavy plastic pouches used to hold fishing hooks.  punch out an appropriately sized "disc" that will fit in the pawl cap.  we will be using these plastic discs to "space" the pawl upwards against the worm.  obviously, too much and it will bind.  if you can space it just right, you can space it up high enough so that it "tracks" better but will not bind. 

many levelwind assemblies benefit from being properly shimmed like this.  you ideally need zero load and zero freeplay. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

AlohaDan

Mahalo

Will get on it this weekend.