Wahoo trolling setup assistance

Started by JoePlo, February 05, 2015, 12:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePlo

Has to be some wahoo fishing experience in here. I am looking to utilize my current gear and somehow put together a setup that I can troll at 10-15 kts pulling either rigged lure or x-rap 30. I know this requires stout setups. I have read for days about it all and ideally I would go out and grab a Tiagra 30 and slap it on a nice bent rod butt trolling rod and be all set. Issue is conjuring up $800+. So I have been thinking I can possibly get away with utilizing what I already have. Looking for opinions on which reel and the spooling of said reel. Rods I have its the reels I am not sure of.

This is what I have:

Penn 113HN
Penn 6/0
Release Reel SG

Was thinking the Penn 6/0. Has significant capacity and I am slapping in a new HT-100 set into it. Thoughts?

Keta

I use a Avet 50 for this but I think if you upgrade the drag on the 6/0 it would be my choice out of what you have.  The "problems" start when one of the below eat your lure.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fIsHsTiiCkS

Now is it a 114h or older black 6/0?

If the 114h. Than you are good to go with that! It's a great real and when upgraded can handle A LOT of drag and line. Now if on a budget with the reel. Just a little investment to make it better and will go along way!

conchydong

Don't know where you are located but with what you have. I would take the 6/0  with 50 lb. test (mono is fine) and troll a high speed planer with a shock leader  to a Islander and horse ballyhoo rig at 8 knots. When you get up to 15 knots you need heavier gear. If you want to go lighter, a Sea witch with a Bonito strip will get bit also. If you want to really simplify it, the smaller sized marauders can also produce but  a 6/0 is not a high speed trolling reel.

JoePlo

It is a black 6/0. I am on the verge of selling some gun(s) and getting the money for a Tiagra. Fish offshore about 1-2 times a month out of Panama City Beach. Just not sure if I troll enough to justify selling my cannons though...

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: JoePlo on February 05, 2015, 12:47:03 AM
It is a black 6/0. I am on the verge of selling some gun(s) and getting the money for a Tiagra. Fish offshore about 1-2 times a month out of Panama City Beach. Just not sure if I troll enough to justify selling my cannons though...

Never sell your firearms, I kick my self for every one I have sold.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I agree with you Lee. Guns are an investment just like buying Bonds. You can always get your money back out of them. I have sold a few, but not many. Mainly for an upgrade to a nicer one.
Just for example. I sold an AK-74 about 5 years ago. I have two others just like it. I paid $350 for the gun. I sold it for $800 with a $100 case of ammo. That same case of Ammo and gun will cost you $900 today. ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

I had to have a nice Itica double barrel 20ga and sold my 12ga M-97 to buy it.  I love the double but miss the old pump.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Probably the only gun I regret selling was a Spas 12. It was the Shotgun they showed in Jurassic park right before that guy got eaten by those raptors. Overfolding stock. Semi or pump. Just a Marvel of engineering. The only problem was that it was so complicated. If I ever had to use it, I would be dead, because there was so many buttons and switches on that thing, I had to pull out the manual every time I used it. Sold it for $800. The price I paid for it, Turned right around and bought an AR-15 for $700 that I know how to use. Flat Top, detachable handle Double Star Carbine. This is what it looks like now.

Magpul adjustable stock, Mako rail and Aimpoint PRO optic and Fail Zero Bolt.
I have full faith in this rifle and know how to work it. That Spas-12 was a very rare gun, but its downfall was the aluminum receiver. That's fine for an AR, but with a 12 gauge, with prolonged usage, the receiver would fail. It would have held its value, but I opted for the sure thing.
If I still had that Spas, I bet it would bring three time that, Easy.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

Is this something new for wahoo trolling????  ??? ???

JoePlo

:D Too funny. I have a video I can post of a fish I caught where I really wish I had a small firearm with me to assist. Its a very painful video to watch for me as I lost a seriously nice fish I had dreamed of landing since......foever.

Maybe I will just see what the tax return looks like and if that looks good and I can pay off the wife then I will get a proper setup.

Keta

The 113H and 6/0 will be very good choices for most wahoo, I use much smaller reels for them when using live bait or bombs.  I'd recommend narrowing the reels but by the time you are done you could buy a new reel.

Mark Twain

conchydong

Lee, for the most part in Florida the Wahoo are not plentiful enough to cast to. Most are taken on the troll or occasionally on live bait while fishing for other species. Sometimes you can find a floating pallet or something similar that may have a bunch of small ones under it that you can toss a jig to, but that is an exception.

Keta

OK, we caught several on bombs when we were in Venice, LA.

Mark Twain