fishing energy bars

Started by wallacewt, February 05, 2015, 12:33:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

i asked the wife(elizabeth) if she could make me some
energy bars like the bike riders have,to take fishing.
all i said was they are not to be dry,but nice and moist.
this is her own recipe
4 ripe bananas
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped dried dates
1/2 cup chopped dry apricots
1/2 cup slivered almonds,whats that?you buy them like that silly
2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla extract
method
oven 160/180
grease a dish,about 16x25cm
line with baking paper,let it overhang on the ends
mash bananas until smooth,add oats,dates apricots,almonds cinnamin,vanilla
stir and mix well
spoon into dish,back of spoon ,pack evenly,bake 30/35 min;until golden
let it cool,liz then added some chocolate on top,made out of them cadbery pellets
sliced it into bars.you do not need anything else to eat while your out there

wallacewt

i gave it a try,and didnt want any dinner
no good for the bikies,they would never win a race
its delicious, cheers

Dominick

Hey Wallace that wife of yours is a real talent.  Those bars are also gluten free.  Give Elizabeth a hug for me.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

wallacewt

no worries dom.
they are also so nice without the chocolate
as sal would say"whatever floats your boat"
cheers

Alto Mare

As I always say, you are spoiled ;). Those I would probably give it a shot, but I'm sure they won't do as good as a glass of home made wine in the morning ;D.
One thing I know for sure, you could keep those kangaroo jerky you sent ::).
Elizabeth is trying to keep you healthy, very nice ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

day0ne

Banana's on a fishing boat? Boo, hiss (but they do sound good). That could get you thrown overboard in my neck of the woods.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

fsrmn

Sounds delicious. Can't wait to try it. :)
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: day0ne on February 06, 2015, 05:58:53 AM
Banana's on a fishing boat? Boo, hiss (but they do sound good). That could get you thrown overboard in my neck of the woods.
:D
You Give Liz a Big Hug and Kiss from The Shark Hunter! You are a Lucky Man Wally! ;)
My Grandmothers name was Elizabeth, and I miss her very badly. She was the mold that kept us all together. :'(
Life is Good!

Jeri

Hi Wallace,

These are inspirational – though would avoid the chocolate topping, it would some days melt in the sun here in Africa. Even conceivable to put some in a smock pocket, while we are fishing – first class!!!

Not to disappoint Sal, about long replies, and apologies for a slight 'hi-jack'.

I would assume that 'Dayone' hails from Florida, as that is the only place where the folks are paranoid about bananas on a boat. The history of which deserves an Englishman to explain – or more appropriately a 'Limey'. In the days of sailing boats tp avoid scurvy, the English Navy issued sailors with a lime, which no matter how old and shrivelled, still yielded fresh juice as the Vitimin C supplement need to avoid sickness. Hence the English being called 'Limeys'. However, with Limes, the only thing that would destroy their use, was the presence of bananas!!! Hence the paranoid attitude in the tropics to avoiding any source of bananas on boats.

Isn't this a wonderful fishing site – food and history lessons!!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

wallacewt

goodonyah jeri
its not the banana,but the resin in the skin that fish dislike
my brother was nuts and couldnt catch a fish
so i put a piece of banana on the hook to tease him
and caught another fish,he chased me all over the rocks. ;D
is that a tiger fish in your avatar?

Jeri

Hi Wallace,

The issue of the paranoia about bananas, is that the vapours coming off the skin will cause any fruit to rot – hence the need for sailors not to mix banana with the Limes. I've never been desperate enough to try banana as bait – rather use it in your wife's recipe.

The fish in the avatar is indeed a Tigerfish – caught a few years back in the Zambezi – we had a holiday down here from the UK, and 2 days on the river, between the two of us (Sue my wife and I), we only had 12 Tigers in the 2 days, the smallest was 4.5kgs, the biggest – in the picture 9.8kgs. Our guide asked us whether we wanted lots of fish, or big fish?? You can see the results to that question.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Newell Nut

Hey Wallace
Those treats would be good energy boosters for going to the gym. Cool recipe.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Jeri on February 06, 2015, 01:03:47 PM
Hi Wallace,

These are inspirational – though would avoid the chocolate topping, it would some days melt in the sun here in Africa. Even conceivable to put some in a smock pocket, while we are fishing – first class!!!

Not to disappoint Sal, about long replies, and apologies for a slight 'hi-jack'.

I would assume that 'Dayone' hails from Florida, as that is the only place where the folks are paranoid about bananas on a boat. The history of which deserves an Englishman to explain – or more appropriately a 'Limey'. In the days of sailing boats tp avoid scurvy, the English Navy issued sailors with a lime, which no matter how old and shrivelled, still yielded fresh juice as the Vitimin C supplement need to avoid sickness. Hence the English being called 'Limeys'. However, with Limes, the only thing that would destroy their use, was the presence of bananas!!! Hence the paranoid attitude in the tropics to avoiding any source of bananas on boats.

Isn't this a wonderful fishing site – food and history lessons!!!!

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Jeri, your comments are never disappointing to me, I've enjoyed everyone of them, long or short.
Keep them coming my friend ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

whalebreath

Quote from: day0ne on February 06, 2015, 05:58:53 AM
Mine too!

http://www.nobananas.ca/

fIsHsTiiCkS

You are a very lucky man!! That is a great idea! As I keep a strict diet and find it hard to bring things when fishing. I'll look into this. Thanks for sharing.