do I need a Baja Special reel?

Started by steelfish, February 07, 2015, 04:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on October 12, 2016, 06:45:55 PM
Alex, finish that up this weekend so we can get a look :)

John, lets see what I can do, probably I will do it cuz its mine and Im still pretty exited, but I have some pending reels and few rods (nothing special on this just changing guides on one boat rod) that can send this reel to the next week.

Quote from: thorhammer on October 12, 2016, 06:45:55 PM
Did you get the rest of the stuff in that crate? looks like a wide Senator in there.

nop, I was so happy to find that Gem on the "trash can" that I forgot to even ask for the price for the rest of the reels LOL.

The Baja Guy

David Hall

fantastic score, good things come to those who visit yard sales.

Rivverrat

To answer the original question....Yes ! I think every one needs at least one Baja / US113 in their arsenal.
Even though they come from a time when spooling a reel full up with just mono they are in my mind a very versatile reel. 40 - 50 lb. line fished with appropriate drag is no problem as they come out of the box. They produce a butter smooth 15 lbs. of drag. Which says a lot for any star drag reel & for a reel this size they are really wonderful casters.

Here's my most recent one. An ebay purchase that arrived yesterday. It's brand new ! Came loaded with 60 hollow. Had been looking for an original Baja in good shape. I bid to get it. Not a bargain really. However I didn't pay brand new price....Jeff

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on October 16, 2016, 06:06:56 PM
To answer the original question....Yes ! I think every one needs at least one Baja / US113 in their arsenal.

right on Jeff, you have the US senator and Baja, cool, my goal was to have Two Baja Special reels, its something sentimental about having Penn to build a great reel with the Baja name on it, since I saw them I was pretty sure I would have to have at least two of them and they will be keepers.

by the way, you did a relly nice buy with that new old Baja Special, like I said, I keeped my eyes open to check for another Baja on ebay and fishing forums, and I pretty sure I saw that one you posted on ebay.. I see that Tom will have to start a list of request for bridge/antireverse upgrades soon.

congrats again.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

well after few days soaking on sprayed oil, later the metal parts got a shower for few hours on white vinegar, for finally get a deep wash with dish soap and a firm brush, All bearings are still in good shape after a deep clean with Carb cleaner along with the bearing blaster which really shined here.
as it was told I used my other frame which is in 3x better shape than the one on the orginal reel.

now this is the Baja Special that was trashed and dirty on the milk crate along with the other old reels.
not bad for a reel cheaper than taking my family to inn&out burguers

old frame and spool at the right

this will be using a thin delrin washer at the top of the drag stack just before the spring washer, my other Baja Special is using a thicker delrin washer INSTEAD of the spring washer, I will see if I see any difference

The Baja Guy

thorhammer

Alex, very nicely done. Get some blood on that shine!!!!

Rivverrat

Yup that came out nice. Alex really wanting to know what you find with the different washer set up. Curious to know if we notice the same thing....Jeff

steelfish

The Baja Guy