Penn 704 706 to 705 707 handle conversion

Started by surfcaster, February 07, 2015, 06:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfcaster

Hi, working on a green 705 reel to make a 707z. 705z parts are still around but A lot of the parts are expensive.
Penn used to sell just the collar. but now I can only find complete $35 handles.
I bought a tap & experimented with a few old 704 handle collars ruined one,[that was already junk}
  before success. then had the confidence to tap the handle& harvest the parts from my donor right handed reel . The aluminum  is very soft, use oil
& turn slowly to keep the tap plumb. lefty's have standard threads & righty's have reverse threads.
That 3 dollar tap paid for itself , a little oven cleaner to strip off the green painted frame
some black spray paint  a new 705z sideplate. Tight Lines, Richie

[][/img]

[/URL]]

foakes

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Very good job Richie, thanks for showing us how its done. ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

surfcaster

Thanks Fred & Sal  I was trying to reply with a picture& shut the screen.That reel has a steel main gear too. I ordered a lefty frame from Scotts and decided to chop up my new 706z when it gets here. It took about a month to find the other parts. I'll keep you posted

[img][/img]

foakes

Richie --

Looks like your in good shape -- but if you need other parts -- let us know.

I may have some of what you need.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.