Weird Fishing

Started by Newell Nut, February 07, 2015, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Watch out guys!! I believe those doggies are a protected species.go figure! Freaking PIA!
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Yes they are, be cautious out there. There has to be millions of those...go figure. 8-10 mile out they reach lengths over 3', its a constant battle trying to keep them off. ::)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

You have to buy a $20 permit to keep them. Our boat has a permit and recently another party boat had to pay $1000 fine for not having the $20 permit with the puppy sharks in the box..

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

conchydong

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 08, 2015, 05:23:25 PM
You have to buy a $20 permit to keep them. Our boat has a permit and recently another party boat had to pay $1000 fine for not having the $20 permit with the puppy sharks in the box..

Surprised that any boat fishing out of Florida in Federal waters would not have their appropriate HMS permit. You need one to even keep a SkipJack.

BMITCH

Quote from: Keta on February 08, 2015, 05:52:49 PM
Are they edible? 

Lee I think there is a commercial value. I've heard they make everything from fish n chips to cat food to fertilizer with them. I personally have never had nor seen/talked to anyone who "knowingly" has.
luck is the residue of design.

Newell Nut

These puppy sharks cook up great fresh. Not so good after being frozen but really good fresh caught and cooked. You can simply sauté them in light olive oil with blackened seasoning or batter and fry.

Alto Mare

My father used to eat them, he used to call us stupid and say that we didn't learn anything from him ;D. It believe it was ok to keep them in the 70's....I'm hoping ;D
I remember seing them at Oriental Markets, along with Skates.
Some claim they make the best fish stew :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Dogfish don't have the step in the tail like a Sharpnose.
Sharpnose look like a miniature Bull shark. Lots of teeth!
http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/sfa/hms/species/sharks/rec_shark_id_placard.pdf
Life is Good!

bluefish69

Quote from: BMITCH on February 08, 2015, 04:39:10 PM
Watch out guys!! I believe those doggies are a protected species.go figure! Freaking PIA!

Doggies are protected but draggers can get a permit & catch 3000# a day. When I was on the boat some people would keep them, Skin & take them home. Doggies Urinate through their skin so clean them fast after they die. If not before that.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

All true Shark Species do that Mike. Cleaning on the spot is the way to do it if you are going to eat it. ;)
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 09, 2015, 05:24:07 AM
All true Shark Species do that Mike. Cleaning on the spot is the way to do it if you are going to eat it. ;)

Close, but not 100% correct Mr. SHARK.  Many of the true Lamanids (Shortfin/longfin Makos, Salmon, Great Whites), and a few others (Common/Pelagic/Bigeye Threshers), have more advanced kidneys, which remove and excrete almost all of the urea.  Incidentally, these guys also have countercurrent heat exchsnge systems (like Bluefin/Bigeye Tunas, and Swordfish), which allow them to thermoregulate.  These guys are not true Cold blooded animals.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

harryk3616

Jerseymic

Been eating them for years, quite tasty.

In the UK they are also known as Rock Salmon, a name thought up by marketeers to make them more acceptable to consumers, and are one of the popular fish sold in Fish & Chip shops.