Weird Fishing

Started by Newell Nut, February 07, 2015, 10:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Today about the Pastime Princess we caught a lot of puppy sharks and they usually show up when the water is dirty like is now after the big blow we had for a few days. We also caught a bunch of vermilions and triggers.
The weird thing for me is that I started with a 40 lb bottom rig for mangos and pulled up a king mackerel without getting bit off. So king are here right? Grab my reel with the wire leader and hook up a sardine to flat line caught two big red snappers and no kings. The fish have not read the fishing rules I guess.

Shark Hunter

Good Job Dwight! ;)
Mr. personality really need to Learn how to smile for the Camera. :D
When you say puppy Sharks. Are they Sharpnose? Or just small sharks?
Life is Good!

Newell Nut

Daron, I don't know what species they really are but have always heard them called puppy sharks on every boat that I have fished. They 3 ft or less mostly. Mike does not smile for the camera rarely smiles about anything because he is not fishing. Here is another one of the endangered species caught right next to me on a wire leader flat lining a sardine.

Shark Hunter

That is as big as a Sharpnose gets. About 3'. I was just Curious.
Life is Good!

harryk3616

looks like what we call a dog fish,  on wrecks alot

Alto Mare

Yep, dog fish down my way as well...bait snatchers. Those get on my nerves, I minimize using squid, they love it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Newell Nut on February 07, 2015, 10:00:33 PM
Today about the Pastime Princess we caught a lot of puppy sharks and they usually show up when the water is dirty like is now after the big blow we had for a few days. We also caught a bunch of vermilions and triggers.
The weird thing for me is that I started with a 40 lb bottom rig for mangos and pulled up a king mackerel without getting bit off. So king are here right? Grab my reel with the wire leader and hook up a sardine to flat line caught two big red snappers and no kings. The fish have not read the fishing rules I guess.

Dwight, you could give Mike heads up that I'm going to bet him that I could put a smile on his face when I get down there ;) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Newell Nut

There is a Sicilian guy that fishes the second Thursday of each month from The Villages fishing group and you and he together would crack Mike I think. Gilberto is a riot.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 07, 2015, 10:27:56 PM
That is as big as a Sharpnose gets. About 3'. I was just Curious.

It's nearly impossible to fish inshore here without catching those little buggers.

Dominick

Yep dog fish.  Although it is insulting to my dog.   :D ;D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I have actually only caught one. My Boy Mike caught the other.
They don't eat Stingray.
Well, they might try.
If I catch another, he will be bait. ;)
Life is Good!

Keta

Our dog sharks are really spiny dogfish, yours look like nice little sharks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jerseymic

Dogfish here in the U.K.

Bait stealing menace.

rjones

I heading out of Jacksonville in a couple of weeks and was wondering if you caught any black sea bass along with the triggers and b-liners
Rob

conchydong

Quote from: Keta on February 08, 2015, 05:48:35 AM
Our dog sharks are really spiny dogfish, yours look like nice little sharks.

Agree. I catch dogfish on occasion while deep dropping and most of ours have a spine also. Most common I catch in the deep is the Cuban Dogfish. That is probably a Sharpnose in Daron's picture but it is hard to confirm by the picture. Dogfish, even the non spiny ones have straight tails without the notch on top like the shark in the picture. Puppy shark is also used as a common name for any small shark that people don't bother to identify.