Loop to loop connection

Started by BMITCH, February 09, 2015, 11:31:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Ok so in another thread in this section I was questioning about bobbins for thread on the serve. Now the next questions....
1- who here uses say a loop to loop connection to go from the braid to say a 5 - 20 foot section of shock leader on their jigging setups?? Is this the way to go? I'm frustrated with the uni to uni knot connection I'm currently using getting hung up in the guides on the cast also it'll tear your thumb up after repeated casting.
2- for the above setup ( jigging ) are you folks doing the finger trap connection or loop to loop?
3- also to attach say 100 yd top shot to the braid backing..loop to loop or finger trap??

I get how the loop to loop connection can be a real benefit in changing leaders out easily but in the second setup(100 yd topshot) how would you change out the top shot and add the new coil. What or how are you winding the topshot that is currently on the reel?
luck is the residue of design.

josa1

Hi BMitch,

I've been looking at a few techniques to connect spectra to mono or fluoro and think this is one I'm going to seriously give a shot....I thought it might be better to completely get away from the serving and loop to loop if I could find a better alternative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRah3aNKpYw&feature=player_embedded

Don't be confused by the title.  It was a small mistake on the Royal Polaris, transposing video names, that got out of whack.

By the way, there's several nice instructional videos on the RP site.

josa1

dutchy17

I use this knot on nearly all spectra to leader connections and have found it extremely reliable. Mostly called "Albright Knot"   Check out  netknots.com for lots of knots and easy step by step instructions and videos.

Regards, Dirk
Why is everything i love either illegal, immoral or carry's a health warning!

BMITCH

I really like this knot. Just watched the video and looks simple enough to tie. A ton easier than a uni to uni. Only knock I have on this knot might be the bane of all knots. The tag ends. I guess I need to tie it a few times today and see what it looks like. May be my next knot for this coming season. Only thing is I hope those tag ends don't come off the line at to much of a right angel. This would also make it prone to getting hung in the guides. No??

BTW. Josa1 thanks for posting that up

conchydong

I use that knot a lot. It has been around for a long time and was not "invented" on the RP. We generally called it a modified Albright.
If I happen to have hollow spectra on the reel, I do like to splice an end loop and have some leaders premade with loops for easy L2L connections. I keep it simple and use Sato crimps or nail knots and some glue for serving.

Keta

Quote from: BMITCH on February 09, 2015, 11:31:34 AM
Ok so in another thread in this section I was questioning about bobbins for thread on the serve. Now the next questions....
1- who here uses say a loop to loop connection to go from the braid to say a 5 - 20 foot section of shock leader on their jigging setups?? Is this the way to go? I'm frustrated with the uni to uni knot connection I'm currently using getting hung up in the guides on the cast also it'll tear your thumb up after repeated casting.
2- for the above setup ( jigging ) are you folks doing the finger trap connection or loop to loop?
3- also to attach say 100 yd top shot to the braid backing..loop to loop or finger trap??

I get how the loop to loop connection can be a real benefit in changing leaders out easily but in the second setup(100 yd topshot) how would you change out the top shot and add the new coil. What or how are you winding the topshot that is currently on the reel?

#1. I do and have been using this for over 10 years.
#2. L2L is faster when change your topshots, sometimes I do a direct splice but not often and usually only with heavy topshots.
#3.  Long topshots either way, the ones I do for others are all L2L, mine are either directly spliced to the braid or make a finger trap connection without the loop leaving a 3' tag end to use to splice to the braid on your reel.

I will be playing with big cats until Wednesday and will be back online Thursday if you have more questions.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Thanks Lee. As always your knowledge of all things fishing amazes me. Now go get some big cats and if you guys bag one post up a pic if you can. Good luck!
Bob

josa1

Hi BMitch,

I tied the knot several times in my garage and attempted to break the result.  Using 100 pound spectra and 80 pound Izor I broke the spectra three times in a row.  I guess that tells you what every one sez is true,  80 pound Izor breaks at well over 100 pounds.

More importantly, trimming both the tags as close as possible to the knot, using a razor blade, did not in any way affect the knot that I could see.  If anything, while pulling on the knot the tag ends MIGHT have came out of the knot the slightest bit, at least it seems that way to me.

Another thing, when you analyze how the mono force is applied to the spectra you can see that it transfers directly.  When you use the L2L, the force from line to line is transferred thru the loop.  Not a bad thing, just different.

You might try tying this knot along with the Springer knot, also shown on this site, to connect line to hook, trim the tags as closely as you can to the hook and to the connection knot, then do your best to break the resultant setup.  It is really very strong, and, John Collins attests to its reliability in the video's.

Use CARE.  It takes a lot of force to break the lines so watch that something doesn't fly around!

As you might agree, when not fishing we can always find something beneficial to discuss.

josa1

BMITCH

Josa 1 thanks again for the info. This knot looks super simple( my kinda knot  ;) ) to tie both before and during a trip. I'm Definitely on board with this. I'll give it a tie and look at this evening. I'll let you know what I think.

Thanks again,
Bob

MarkT

I like the Improved Albright, Alberto, John Collins, RP.  By whatever name, it's a good knot.  It's a strong, small knot that goes through the guides easily.  The Tony Pena/Bob Sands is another good knot that's easy to tie.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

In preparation for someday using braid (!), I tried tying a John Collins knot, and found it to be very satisfactory: easy to master, strong, and with no gigantic tag ends.   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

mike1010

The problem I have with the Albright and its variations is that the mono tag end wants to hang on the guides on the way out.  For a couple of years I have been using the Bristol knot.  It is compact, strong, and very quick to tie, especially if you use a surgeon's loop instead of the bimini:  http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/bristol-knot.

conchydong

Quote from: mike1010 on February 09, 2015, 09:15:48 PM
The problem I have with the Albright and its variations is that the mono tag end wants to hang on the guides on the way out.  For a couple of years I have been using the Bristol knot.  It is compact, strong, and very quick to tie, especially if you use a surgeon's loop instead of the bimini:  http://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/bristol-knot.

I generally take the tag end of the spectra and make a series of half hitches, similar to finishing a bimini. This streamlines the transition and helps it go through the guides better.

mike1010

Quote from: conchydong on February 09, 2015, 10:07:01 PM
I generally take the tag end of the spectra and make a series of half hitches, similar to finishing a bimini. This streamlines the transition and helps it go through the guides better.

That's a good way to finish the knot, but I mean the other end.  If the mono tag end is not lying flat, it will catch on the guides.  With the Bristol knot, the mono tag end can be cut almost flush.

Reel 224

The knot that was originally shown to me has been the Alberto knot. I use it and haven't had a problem with it ever when casting my top-shot threw the guides...if tied and trimmed properly it works great. Having said that. Ill also state that everyone has a preference, and like horse racing there is always more then one horse in the race so everyone gets to choose there favorite.
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."