Cleaning question...

Started by Aiala, February 09, 2015, 04:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiala

I bought some snazzy used ice-blue AccuPlates from Randy for my 501 project, and I'm wondering, is it safe to de-grease them in the usual Simple Green bath? I mean, it won't hurt the anodizing, right?   ???

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

foakes

Right, Aiala -- it will not hurt the anodizing -- but the plates are aluminum, tough to get, expensive, etc.

If it were me, I would just put them in my ultrasonic cleaner for 3 minutes with 50% simple green -- then rinse off with warm water.  Blow dry.  Then attack it with WD-40, a toothbrush, and a soft cloth that will not scratch.

Without a US cleaner -- just simple green sprayed and brushed to loosen and remove old grease and such -- then finish up with WD-40, toothbrush, Q-Tips, and a soft cloth.

WD-40 is a very poor lubricant for fishing reels -- it gums up, attracts dirt, and ends up leaving early.  But it is an outstandingly simple and gentle cleaner of grease and such, when you do not wish to harm any parts.  Plus, when I am completed with a reel after doing a service/restoration -- I lightly spray it with WD-40, then wipe it down as dry as possible.  This gets rid of any grease residue and fingerprints -- and leaves a nice sheen on all metals, plastics, bakelite, etc.  And also protects it when stored.

Probably no issues with being more aggressive -- I am just real careful with hard to obtain items on my clients reels, and my own.

Don't ask how I know these pitfalls...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Simple green will work with no problems, but I too like to use WD-40 as a cleaner then I bath them in Dawn Dishwashing soap solution (like washing dishes), air dry then reassemble.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DesertCatRat

X2 on the simple green, I use it almost always along with dish soap, I don't do the wd though, maybe I wil try, but I have great success with the first two
Brian