Traveller who needs help

Started by yockman, November 13, 2010, 04:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yockman

Hi guys,

To cut a long story short, it turns out I'm coming to the US around Dec 20. I'll be landing in LA, then have about 10-12 days up my sleeve before a rendezvous with a yacht in Miami.

I'm thinking about hiring a car and taking a drive, maybe to San Francisco, Death Valley, Vegas, maybe even right across to Miami. Not really sure yet.

If any of you locals has some ideas on where to/how to, including advice about car hire, I'd be happy to hear it.

BTW, would a week be a comfortable time to drive LA to Miami?

Cheers,
Yockman (Australia)

yockman

Have seen the distance LA - Miami and don't want to drive that - thinking instead about a round trip from LA- San Farncisco-Yosemite-Las Vegas-San Diego-LA, then fly to Miami.

Would really appreciate any info on this  eg will the National Parks be open or snowed in at Christmas?

Norcal Pescador

I don't think Yosemite is affected much by snow in the lower elevations of the park. Here's a link to the national park service: http://www.nps.gov  You can get info on each park in the areas you're interested in seeing.
Need more, keep asking; Yanks are always glad to help like-minded Ozzies!  8)

Cheers,
Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

i've never been to yosemite in the winter, but i bet it would be beautiful.  if you find your way up to san francisco, please let me know.  there is no fishing, but alot of guys run crab pots and dungeoness crab is very tasty.  as for the drive from california to florida, i would not want to do that.  i think you'd be better off getting a flight across the country. the drive would be very long and boring.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

yockman

Thanks for the info, guys.

Alan, I've crossed the LA-Miami idea off the list but have pretty well settled on the other plan, LA-SanF-Yosemite-LasV-SanD(perhaps) and back to LA. I'll give it about 10 days.

If you can think of any must-do's or must-avoids, please let me know - I haven't been to your country before.

Cheers,
Yockman

Norcal Pescador

What month are you planning to see the U.S.?
FYI - if you're thinking about fishing, saltwater season (from boats) will be closed in Southern California January 1 to February 28. Mexico is always open. Freshwater lakes are open year round for the most part.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob

Phinaddict

Heading north out of LA , take Hwy 1 North out of San Luis Obispo. It travels through some spectacular coastline known as Big Sur ending  in Carmel, (my old home town). Stay there that night and  do some sightseeing in Pebble Beach and Monterey the next day. Say hi to Clint Eastwood if you see him. If time permits, a visit to the Monterey Aquarium is worth it... spectacular displays, especially the tuna tank!

And if you make it to the wine country of California, (120km N of San Francisco), I'll show you local sights!

Yosemite in winter can be absolutely spectacular if the snow is in the valley. If not, it will just be cold and visually amazing. Have a great time and do be sure to let me know if you're coming this way!
Cheers
Gene
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Phinaddict on November 17, 2010, 06:49:33 AM

And if you make it to the wine country of California, (120km N of San Francisco), I'll show you local sights!

Gene, you have a pm.
Rob

yockman

Norcal, I'll be between Christmas and early new year, probably only about 10 days. Fishing's not high on the agenda for that period as the next 3 months will be the trip of a lifetime - sailing from Martinique to Tahiti, withlots of fishing time. But  if something really good comes up, I'll surely go!

More interested in having a look at the country that is the biggest driver of ideas and culture in the west and see what it's really like on the ground there. Phinaddict, I've had a look at Hwy 1 and it looks brilliant - I've wanted to go there since about 1974 when I heard that Beach Boys album "Holland". I will look out for Clint, he still drivin' that old Torino?

I might make it to that wine area - do you  mean Napa Valley?

Any more tips, please keep 'em coming.

Yockman

Norcal Pescador

Goodonya for the grand trip, Yockman. If Gene doesn't keep you too busy up north, San Diego [my home town] has some really amazing things to see, too. However, it's hard to beat the natural scenery California has to offer.

Bring your shorts and sun hat  8) as well as your rain gear; The weather will probably run the gamut.

Regards,
Rob
Rob

yockman

Hi guys,

Well not long now, actually getting pretty excited about this.

I've hired a car and will head up through Big Sur on the 21st/22nd Dec. Will probably stay along the way somewhere halfway between LA and SF.  Plan to be in SF for Christmas. What do you guys recommend as the must see/do things up there? I'm keen on the outdoors but would also like to experience some things that are genuine US Christmas activities.

Would also like to see a baseball or gridiron game but don't reckon that'll be happening. And visit some good tackle shops :)

Yockman

Norcal Pescador

Alcatraz Island [a famous former federal prison], Union Square for all of its interesting ;) people, the boardwalk for some great seafood, Golden Gate Park, and Hi's Tackle Box if they're open [call first]. Here's a link to find some tackle shops. http://marinersguide.com/regions/california/sanfrancisco/fishing.html

Baseball season is over, but the SF Giants won the World Series!!  ;D   May be able to catch a [Yank-style] football  game.

Have fun!

Regards,
Rob
Rob

Phinaddict

Yockman,
So much to see and Do!
Here is my list of Must See and Do- (in adddition to the previous posts)-

Big Sur,-stop at Nepenthe for lunch/dinner/drinks/leg stretch.
Carmel- too much to list. Use a guide  and have fun. Drive the 17 mile drive in Pebble Beach if you're a golfer.
Monterey- MUST DO- Monterey Bay Aquarium.
San Francisco-Cable Cars, Union Square and Chinatown, tons of other stuff.

If you go to Yosemite after San Francisco, there is an incredible sporting goods store on the way.
Bass Pro Shop in the town of Manteca. If it has to do with fishing or hunting, they have it. The store is
120,000 sq. feet with an indoor waterfall. Amazing.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CFPage?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&appID=94&storeID=51

Yosemite- The one thing you must see, worth the drive.

Damn, sounds like a fun trip!
Gene

The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: norcal pescador on December 12, 2010, 02:09:15 AM
Alcatraz Island [a famous former federal prison], Union Square for all of its interesting ;) people, the boardwalk for some great seafood, Golden Gate Park, and Hi's Tackle Box if they're open [call first]. Here's a link to find some tackle shops. http://marinersguide.com/regions/california/sanfrancisco/fishing.html

Baseball season is over, but the SF Giants won the World Series!!  ;D   May be able to catch a [Yank-style] football  game.

Have fun!

Regards,
Rob
Yockman,
I should have said Fisherman's Wharf instead of the boardwalk.
I forgot the cable cars in SF, very interesting on how the cars work. And I hope you hired a small car - you can get around the city but the traffic and parking in San Francisco can be madness! :o  We prefer to park in a lot and put on our walking shoes. 8)

Yesssss!!!! Go to Bass Pro Shop if your time allows!

Cheers -
Rob
Rob

TyeeJim

Remember, its Winter in the States.  You better check ahead if you go to Yosemite.  It can  be snowed in and chains are required.  The best time to see Yosemite is in the Spring