basketcase LX

Started by DesertCatRat, February 10, 2015, 07:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertCatRat

so here is my Lx that I got along with some cash In trade for some reel work,
it's in bad shape, it's missing parts so I'm going to get into this and get it back working again,
the spool barely turned there was some corrosion issues here and there
so here are some before pictures and let's see how it goes,   Hopefully I can find parts to keep my cost to where it's worth it, I know it has single dog and the issues with that, but it was basically free so why not give it a shot
If I can get her up and running I'm thinking this would be a decent surface iron reel any input as to the direction I should take is appreciated
Brian

DesertCatRat

I plan to give her a scrub down, a new drag washer,some bearings, a new grip, and obviously the missing parts
I'll see how it goes,  contemplating a kodiak or florida cam
Not sure which will be better for iron
She's completely broken down and in the scrub tank
So, will post as she comes together
The drag washer is dry, a little rough around the edges, does it look useable once I give it the cals treatment?
Brian

AJ

I think it will be fine, many carbon fiber drags show that on the edges.  But is there any signs of corrosion on the spool where the drags sit?  This can happen if the area under the drags is not greased.  There is an old tutorial showing this problem.

I really like my LX, it is my main 30# Stripped Marlin reel.

DesertCatRat

There is no corrosion on spool, so I greased and reused the cf washer
Other than the nastiest dirty grease, she actually cleaned up well, there was some minor rust spots in the bearing recesses , the outer drive shaft recess and the pinion, bearings were corroded and toast
Will be ordering full set today, and lever drag knob, few washers
I have a few bearing questions , can I use regular shielded on inner outer drive shaft or is a blue seal the best? they will be packed well
Also, one bearing has rounded edges on outer race, is this a specific fit or will standard square edge work?

I have been wanting to buy a new reel for surface iron, fth 25s n , or trq s,  Cedros 12 s, are my considerations
But now this Lx 6:1 is in the line up, what are the opinions on using this reel for iron work?
Brian

Bryan Young

You may use metal shielded or phenolic shielded bearings.  It doesn't matter.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DesertCatRat

Thanks Bryan
I will pack them well, I guess the rubber blue shield is for water intrusion?
Got her cleaned up well, actually in good condition, was just nasty and dirty
Is there an easy way to remove knob shaft or is drilling out the only option?

Corrected, sorry
Brian

Bryan Young

what is the knee shaft?  Can you take a picture of it?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DesertCatRat

I have a tbar black handle I want to put on,
If I dont have to drill it would be nice but I think it's the only way
Or I could buy a new arm
Brian

Dominick

Good work Desert.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

So Alan has

If fits over the shaft and there is a hole at the end where you can drive the securement screw so you don't have to drill out the handle arm shaft.  You may want to check it out.

alantani

Quote from: DesertCatRat on February 11, 2015, 07:47:30 PM
I have a tbar black handle I want to put on,
If I dont have to drill it would be nice but I think it's the only way
Or I could buy a new arm

i have the old 4/0 grips if you would like one. it's the same thing shown in the photo.  send me a pm if you'd like one!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

DesertCatRat

Trying to get sleeve and spindle off
Pics may help, I have new knob and spindle pic at top

I am guessing drill out?

Or order a new blank arm?

Contacted avet and they only have whole handle assembled
But they were great with my parts order, very low price and very helpful

Will post current cleaned up pics, cosmetically a bit rashed up, but coming together well

I'm hoping I can use it for surface iron on 40# , does that sound feasible?

Thanks all for the input
Brian

alantani

this might be the one that unscrews.  what does the other side of the spindle look like?

DesertCatRat

It is smooth, no slot for loosening

About 2/3 of way down sleeve there is a hole that looks like a set screw or something may have been but I have tried there with no success
Brian

alantani

there is a round nut at the end of the spindle.  did you remove the nut?