Any first hand user review for Penn fathom 25NLD2?

Started by 45user, February 11, 2015, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

45user

Hello everyone,
Looking to buy fathom 25N LD2 for use as 40lbs reel
Anyone used it and have good or bad to tell me?
Thank you!

nelz

I just handled a brand new one at the store, was planning on trying out a LD reel. I heard that with the "thrust bearing" it wouldn't be as bad, but it was just the same as all the other LD's, there was too much resistance cranking the handle for my preference, even under minimal drag setting. I'm sticking with stars.

* Sidenote: the 2 speed feature functioned beautifully though.

wallacewt

hi nelz
i dont understand
"its hard to crank the handle"
cheers

MarkT

I've had one for a few weeks and had it on a trip where I was yoyoing with it. 350yds of 50# spectra and a few feet of 40# mono to the jig.  Was very smooth, easy handling, shifted gears easily.  I like it a lot. Certainly better than my Avet JX 6/3.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Bryan Young

Quote from: nelz on February 11, 2015, 02:36:41 AM
I just handled a brand new one at the store, was planning on trying out a LD reel. I heard that with the "thrust bearing" it wouldn't be as bad, but it was just the same as all the other LD's, there was too much resistance cranking the handle for my preference, even under minimal drag setting. I'm sticking with stars.

* Sidenote: the 2 speed feature functioned beautifully though.
Likely someone over-torqued the drag and damaged the bearings.  These reels are not hard to crank.

You have to take it easy when setting these reels, but once it's set, the reels are golden.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

MarkT

I had no handle issues with the handle with 13# of drag.

doradoben

I bought one and it worked flawlessly to fish the incredible Yellowtail bite in So. Cal. late last fall. I used it as a bait reel to fish 30 lb. mono over 50 lb. spectra. The reel had excellent freespool and plenty of drag. 

45user

Thank you all for your replies.
I'm thinking 65lbs izor spectra to full with short 40lbs top shot
Does that sound good?

nelz

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 11, 2015, 04:49:19 AM
Likely someone over-torqued the drag and damaged the bearings.  These reels are not hard to crank.
You have to take it easy when setting these reels, but once it's set, the reels are golden.

This was a new one right out of the box. The salesman did say "Avets are much worse" though. I think it's just me -just used to super smooth star drags.

steelfish

Quote from: MarkT on February 11, 2015, 05:55:15 AM

Do you have 13# on strike, full or max (sunset) ?
The Baja Guy

MarkT

Quote from: steelfish on April 23, 2016, 11:12:33 PM
Quote from: MarkT on February 11, 2015, 05:55:15 AM

Do you have 13# on strike, full or max (sunset) ?
Strike. I normally don't go above that unless I have a tuna at deep color and can't get it to come up and even then I usually put my thumb on the spool... Yeah, I know that can be a bad move.

steelfish

Thanks Mark

I Will try to do the Same way, although in this reel going from strike to full is pretty easy, seems like it would move to full by mistake.

Also, I just got a FTH40LD2 brand new from tackle direct store.

Its my first LD reel like I said before, so I have to ask, when you turn the handle fast many times in high gear, with the lever set on full drag (not max) with estimated 15# drag, does it normal to hear a sound like just barely rubbing something ?
(hard to describe the sound but for me star drag reels make a buzzing sound when retrieving fast with drag activated while the LD reel make a "rubbing sound" type).

Not like I´m Actually worry for the sound thinking that its rubbing something but I have never hear it on a star drag reel before even on pretty high drag settings.

PS: on same the same settings, lever still on Full set, but once I swiched to low gear the reel is as smooth and silence (mute) as my best star drag reel or 2x better.
free spool its great, the spool spins forever, and lever moves all the way back and forth smooth and efforthless
The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Quote from: steelfish on April 24, 2016, 05:53:35 AM
Thanks Mark

I Will try to do the Same way, although in this reel going from strike to full is pretty easy, seems like it would move to full by mistake.

Also, I just got a FTH40LD2 brand new from tackle direct store.

Its my first LD reel like I said before, so I have to ask, when you turn the handle fast many times in high gear, with the lever set on full drag (not max) with estimated 15# drag, does it normal to hear a sound like just barely rubbing something ?
(hard to describe the sound but for me star drag reels make a buzzing sound when retrieving fast with drag activated while the LD reel make a "rubbing sound" type).

Not like I´m Actually worry for the sound thinking that its rubbing something but I have never hear it on a star drag reel before even on pretty high drag settings.

PS: on same the same settings, lever still on Full set, but once I swiched to low gear the reel is as smooth and silence (mute) as my best star drag reel or 2x better.
free spool its great, the spool spins forever, and lever moves all the way back and forth smooth and efforthless

Its just a combination of the very high gear moving a (relatively) heavy spool. Some handle pressure is normal too, again, due to the weight of the spool assembly (spool plus drag plates and pinion assembly) being spun by a relatively high gear ratio.

A Star drag spool is designed to be as light as possible so you don't notice the high gear feeling much load.

best

steelfish

Cool, Thanks John

now I dont have anything else than use it and getsome fish
The Baja Guy