A little help in identifying what's on the end of the line...☺

Started by docjun, February 11, 2015, 08:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

docjun

Hope you guys won't mind as I was not able to edit the video anymore... Sharing what keeps us coming back for more...

conchydong

No one will ever know, but I would guess a nice sized Tuna as it chose to remain down. Fishing off of a banka makes it even more difficult as you have to worry about the line hitting the bamboo outriggers.

Edit:
I didn't watch the whole thing as I saw the start and went to the very, very end thinking that you had caught the fish. Now that I have seen the fish at color, I think it is a Oilfish but I may be wrong.

docjun

Some here think it might be a tuna, but others speculate it might be a Gindara. At any rate it was a really good fight for the wifey at 450 ft. deep conchydong!

conchydong

Now that I have gone back and watched the last few minutes of the video, which I did not watch prior to my original post, I do not think it was a Tuna, although they do have Dogtooth Tuna in the Philippines. I am guessing the Philippines because of the type of boat they are fishing on. I am thinking the Oilfish.

Dominick

I never heard of a Gindara.  I Googled a photo of one and it could have been.  My first impression was a Wahoo.  If they have Wahoo where you were fishing that would be my guess.  The body of a Gindara is more pronounced than what it seemed like in the video.  I froze the frame when the fish enters the frame and moved it frame by frame and the fish seemed more streamlined than a Gindara.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Tightlines667

If this was in the south pacific, I'd say a possible Butterfly Kingfish, based on tuna-like behaviour, size, inpression, and headshape and pectoral fin location-shape.  It has a similar impression to an oilfish or Escolar, though I think both are unlikely given its behaviour.  The other critrer that comes to mind is a deep water shark, though I think this is unlikely too.  A lttle enhancement of the video might shed some light on the topic.  Skin/scale appearance could help here.  Butterfly akingfish have large circular scales, Oilfish have a rough appearance, Escolar have a smooth appearance, with a greyish cast, and most deepwater shark species have a darker brown appearance with eyes that light up under deck lights.  Where was this fish caught again?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

docjun

Hello guys, the fish was fought off the waters of Calatagan Batangas Philippines. Though my boatman insists it's a doggy I really couldn't tell because I was the one behind the camera. My only regret had I known the fish was that big was to have used a flying gaff. Thanks for the input fellas!  

whalebreath

Looked to me like a very large Spanish Mackerel-the colour is a bit off but with older larger fish that's often the case.

docjun

Yes Whale it just could be that...my wife's only consolation is that we got the fight on video... Something to remember and learn from, a preventable mistake nonetheless. We'll get 'em next time...  ;)

Tightlines667

I change my best guess to Dogtooth given your location, especially so if you were fishing in closer.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Capt Ahab

BMITCH

First of all...docjun, your wife is ONE TUFF lady. 25+ plus mins. Pulling on that fish while laughing almost all the way through it. AWESOME!!! I think half the guys on this site would be throwing the rod in the water after 20 mins. Unfortunately waaaay to many fish are lost in those last couple of meters. This Happens. I'm sure next time you'll be ready. Thanks for sharing the video. I'm no biologist but in the brief moment we get a view I would think dog tooth tuna. I've only read about them but what I have read and seen they give a dogged fight like that. Better luck next time and my hats off to your wife for going toe to toe with a very difficult adversary.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

CooldadE

Could be the seldom seen and never landed ...Carpacuda

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

docjun

Thanks again guys! Bdw the fight lasted for almost an hour and at 475-480 ft deep. She enjoys each & every moment whenever she's on to a monster. 😊 The wifey says thanks as well Bob! Again thanks for the inputs & keep safe everyone!