penn jigmaster 500

Started by tom5500, February 12, 2015, 11:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom5500

i pulled the lift screw but cant get the handle side to come off

CooldadE

After you loosen the takedown screw fully pull out on the screw and twist the faceplate counter clock wise and it should come right off.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

foakes

Sorry cool dad -- we were typing at the same time

Hi Tom --

No big deal -- it is not very intuitive.

Grasp the reel side plates in both hands.

As you have done -- unscrew the thumb spring (part# TA200) -- pull the spring loaded thumbscrew up -- as you are holding the thumbscrew up, gently but firmly rotate the right handle sideplate 1/4" counter-clockwise.

The entire right side assembly will come off in your hand -- in theory...

Good luck, and let us know how you fared.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

tom5500

i tried and it seems to be frozen(reasons), i did the same on another reel and it popped right off

foakes

Hey, Tom --

Could be just a little stubborn due to corrosion.  Work the sideplate both ways slightly, but firmly.

Should come off.

If not, post some pics -- and one of the experts will have some ideas about how to go about breaking it loose.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

I sometimes have to use a strap wrench to get those sideplates off.  May want to give it a try is all else fails.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

CooldadE

Quote from: foakes on February 13, 2015, 12:12:51 AM
Sorry cool dad -- we were typing at the same time

Hi Tom --

No big deal -- it is not very intuitive.

Grasp the reel side plates in both hands.

As you have done -- unscrew the thumb spring (part# TA200) -- pull the spring loaded thumbscrew up -- as you are holding the thumbscrew up, gently but firmly rotate the right handle sideplate 1/4" counter-clockwise.

The entire right side assembly will come off in your hand -- in theory...

Good luck, and let us know how you fared.

Best,

Fred

Yea but you used more words...  :-)

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...