Grease or oil ?

Started by fsrmn, February 14, 2015, 01:55:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn

I can never seem to remember when to grease a part or oil it  ??? On a conventional do you grease everything internal except for the sleeve which you oil? The spool bearings get packed with grease unless you intend to cast it? Then you oil them? On a spinner grease the internals except for the shaft and the ar bearings or lever which get oiled? What about the bail mechanism and the line roller? Oil? On my last spinner I greased the handle bearings and when I took it in to the local bait shop to have some line spooled on it , he oiled them from the outside. So not wanting to say anything, I took it home and pulled the bearings , cleaned all the grease out and re-oiled them. It seems to crank a little better with oil and after a trip I can just add a little more oil before I put it away. But what about salt water intrusion? Just wondering how everyone else does it.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Shark Hunter

Woa! Ease up on the coffee there bruh! :D
In my Conventionals, I grease everything. Even the sleeve. Sometimes I grease the bearings, sometimes I just oil. The freespool doesn't matter much with what I use them for. I also use grease in my spinners, just for the corrosion protection from the salt. I'm talking big spinners like the 9500.
Life is Good!

fsrmn

Can't ease up on the coffee,  :o working doubles this week 11pm till 3pm. Just trying to get it all answered at once. Thanks for the reply. I tried greasing an ar bearing in a shimano spinner and it didn't work right. So I was curious to see what everyone else did.
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Keta

Trolling reels grease all bearings, casting reels oil spool bearings and grease others, grease on all threads.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Keta I've never heard it put so simply. But your statement makes perfect sense.

Shark Hunter

Lee has been around the block a few times. ;) He knows his stuff. ;D
I'm working a double tonight myself. 3pm to 7am. Someone has to do it!
Quote from: fsrmn on February 14, 2015, 03:18:22 AM
Can't ease up on the coffee,  :o working doubles this week 11pm till 3pm.
Life is Good!

Keta

It works for most applications.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Speed go with oil.

Protection go with grease.

Anti-reverse bearings and dogs are a special headache with variables depending on the type and presence or absence of springs and their type. Its case by case really.

But yea, if you are removing handle bearings to redo them like you say above you are worrying about it way too much. The only thing that is truly finicky about the type of lube are clutches.