113 Black Senator Speed up!

Started by jig-guy, February 14, 2015, 07:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jig-guy

I have 2 113 Black Senator reels that I would like to get the speed up to 3, 3.5 or 4 to 1. So I need the
5-66 main gear  and 13-113 pinion (I know the numbers will not be these) that will get me to the new higher speed gear ratio. I know that this is old school stuff but I am old and old school.
I have to mint 113 Black 4/0's that I use that are upgraded to 5-1 drags stacks and the stainless steel main gear + the stainless gear sleeve. These 2 reels are great for cranking in tuna and other critters.
The 2 reels I hope to increase the speed on are for yoyo fishing jigs. If I can't get this done I will sell them and get some 113h's.
So where will I get these parts? It would be cool to get these 2 old reels up to 3 or 4 to 1 and 15 pounds of drag.
Fun stuff rules :),
Jig-Guy / Bill

Bryan Young

You will not be able to get 4:1 gear ratio on the 113.  Sorry.  But you can get probably 20# of drag with a 7 stack.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rivverrat

You may already know but the US made 113's are doing 27 lbs. of drag with a 4.3:1 gear ratio. You can find them new for a little over $ 200 if you look. Much better quality reel than the prior 113.

fIsHsTiiCkS

The fastest gear ration upgrade that I know of Is for a 2.6:1. If that doesn't work for you then it would be best to upgrade to a 113h

Alto Mare

Quote from: jig-guy on February 14, 2015, 07:42:09 AM
I have 2 113 Black Senator reels that I would like to get the speed up to 3, 3.5 or 4 to 1. So I need the
5-66 main gear  and 13-113 pinion (I know the numbers will not be these) that will get me to the new higher speed gear ratio. I know that this is old school stuff but I am old and old school.
I have to mint 113 Black 4/0's that I use that are upgraded to 5-1 drags stacks and the stainless steel main gear + the stainless gear sleeve. These 2 reels are great for cranking in tuna and other critters.
The 2 reels I hope to increase the speed on are for yoyo fishing jigs. If I can't get this done I will sell them and get some 113h's.
So where will I get these parts? It would be cool to get these 2 old reels up to 3 or 4 to 1 and 15 pounds of drag.
Fun stuff rules :),
Jig-Guy / Bill
I believe this would be the best you could do on the 113 :
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.msg93535#msg93535
The new combination 5-149 and 13-113H are increasing the ratio from 2.1:1  to  2.6:1. On this particular reel, that is a good improvement.
If you decide to give it a try, you will also notice that the gears feel much smoother. There re a couple of members here that have tried it and feel the same.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

DaBigOno

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 14, 2015, 09:42:51 AM
If that doesn't work for you then it would be best to upgrade to a 113h

X2

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

Jig-guy, you will have to go with the 113H if you need the higher gear ratio.  Sometimes faster is not better though.

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 14, 2015, 09:58:24 AM
There re a couple of members here that have tried it and feel the same.

Yup, I did this on the "grouper special" I'm using for my barotrauma release rod and I'm happy with the way it worked out for retrieving the 5# weight.  Thanks again Sal.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 14, 2015, 09:19:56 AM
You may already know but the US made 113's are doing 27 lbs. of drag with a 4.3:1 gear ratio. You can find them new for a little over $ 200 if you look. Much better quality reel than the prior 113.
I'm conservative.  With the diameter of the washers, I factor 2.75-3# drag per drag washer. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 14, 2015, 09:19:56 AM
About  today reels being of a better quality than the prior 113, I'm not sure about that. I know the 113's are still doing great today, after 70+ years in service,  buy can't say the same for the new products...time will tell.
Some of our 113's are getting over 32#. I'm not comparing floating spools or casting capabilities, just drag numbers.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

To be honest I guess I was primarily thinking about the castability  of the new reels.   Also the new frames I believe are better than the standard prior frame.

I also have wondered if the new 113 will make the claimed by Penn drag numbers. Never put scales to the 2 I fondled. I'm going to find out. To clarify I'm speaking in reference to the US made model.   

jig-guy

Thank you all for replies and constuctive information.
1. I was hoping for 3 or 4 to 1.
2. 2.6 to 1? I will be yoyo fishing Salas 6XJR, 6X and knife jigs to 10 onces. No Casting! Is 2.6 to 1 fast enough? I use the old 24-56 reel handles to increase the speed (I Think?). Longer handle more RPM's (I Hope).
3. The 2 old 113 I have are nice reels and as noted I am old school.
4. My 2 other 113 Groupers @ 15# drag with the upraded main gear steel and the stainless gear sleeve work great for me @ 2 to 1 GR.
5.Just for the heck of it I will set one of my113's @ 2.6 to 1 and see if I can entice a California YellowTail to bite me!
6. I will follow up after I get back from Baja Mexico Pacific side in March.
Thank you all again,
jig-guy / Bill

Keta

#2.  Probably not fast enough for this.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Longer handle does not equal more rpms.  Only more leverage.

jig-guy

Thank you all again for responding to my questions :).
I will just use my existing 112H's and install steel main gears & sleeves. Work up a drag stack to get between 12 & 15 pounds of drag. The parts are easy to get for these reels. I know the 4 to 1 will do what I want.
Thank's again gang,
jig-guy / Bill

coastal_dan

Please post pics of your trip once you get back, we all love a good story through photos  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...