putting it back together

Started by tom5500, February 14, 2015, 08:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom5500

how much back and forth play should the spool have?

Keta

Not much.  Tighten the bearing as you slide the spool back and forth, when the thrust is gone back the bearing of a tiny bit.  Then check the  freespool.  Depending on your sensitivity you should feel a bit of side play or none at all.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tom5500

i tightend it down but get maybe a five second spool spin

Keta

First hold the spool from turning and then with the eccentric engage turn the handle to engage the pinion gear.  Try the freespool.  If this does not help back off the bearing a tiny bit at a time and see if it gets better.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

tom5500

bear with me as im new to this ;D.. i held the spool and turned the handle, but unless i really crank down on the drag the handle spins freely, when tightened the spool spins way less..

Keta

We have patience and everyone was new to reel repair at one time.

Loosen the spool bearing.

Mark Twain

Maxed Out

Spool should have 1/16-3/32 play when the tail plate bushing is adjusted correctly.

I stay away from that old silicone lube just for this reason. IMO It makes everything sluggish instead of smoooth ;)
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

tom5500

Quote from: Keta on February 15, 2015, 01:43:57 AM
We have patience and everyone was new to reel repair at one time.

Loosen the spool bearing.

if i back it out i get less spin.. i pushed the spool all the way left/right so you can see the travel distance

Alto Mare

Screw in the left side bearing leaving just a hint of sideway play with the spool, tilt the reel with the handle side facing down and spin the spool while in freespool, let me know if you hear any clicking sound.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

tom5500

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 15, 2015, 02:42:14 AM
Screw in the left side bearing leaving just a hint of sideway play with the spool, tilt the reel with the handle side facing down and spin the spool while in freespool, let me know if you hear any clicking sound.

not a sound

Keta

Did you replace the handle side bearing?

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Sounds like your bearings need cleaning or replaced, it might be as simple as too much grease. if you would like them to spin, don't use grease, use oil. I use a drop of Reel-X,  also, on one of your pics the jack looks pretty corroded, I can't see the yoke. Both parts should be clean, so does the spool shaft and the inside of the pinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Post a photo of the inside of the handle side sideplate assembly.

Mark Twain

tom5500

Quote from: Keta on February 15, 2015, 03:04:29 AM
Post a photo of the inside of the handle side sideplate assembly.