abu garcia 5000 line winding problem

Started by steelfish, February 15, 2015, 04:03:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hey guys,

just found a nice abu 5000 red on a street flea market, it was really rough to turn the handle..
after a good cleaning job was a lot better but not as butter smooth like my 6500c3, well anyway, I put some 14lb mono line on it to check how it cast.
well at the time I was winding the line on the spool the line was with a big "bump" on one side of the spool and still few mm below the limit of the spool (check the pics)
well anyway I finished the put the line and made some casts, the reel made a squirreling sound on every cast, it casted long with no effort just the chirping sound and always the line got winded more on one side.

so, what do recommend me to check?

check the pawl, but I not good to see at a simple sight if is something wrong on it, worms seems to be clean and not marks, and if I take all the right side from the rest of the reel, the handle spins freely and really smooth for 8-10 complete turns

this is how it was inside when I got it.

cleaned it and add new grease and oil

this is how it winded the line

serial on the bottom of the reel foot is 90117- 19
The Baja Guy

TheReelGuy850

Do u notice a skipping during retrieve?Check closely for that as any tiny skip could begin the loading up on one side.i would recommend changing the pawl either way,its a cheap part and may fix the problem immediately.

Good Luck,
                                                                                           The Reel Guy
The Reel Guy
Fishing reel and rod repair service
Panama City, Florida

steelfish

before ordering a new pawl and worm I took all the levelwind assembly and made a real good and deep cleaning, after brushing them with dish soap, degreaser, etc, I sprayed some carb cleaner and all those parts ended up shining like new, then I ajusted the spool cap bit tighter, that same line which was brand new was taken out and then re-winded back to the reel, now everything seems better even the handle while turning feels smoother.

I went to a local open spot to try some power casts with 2oz lead and the reel casted like a champ, the chirping is only present on short and slow cast but not as loud and annoying as before, but on long and powerul cast I reached 80yds easily and the beatiful natural casting sound bbbzzzz on every cast gooood!!

and also the reel winded the line nicely.

this is how it was the line even after a good long cast 2oz and 14# mono

and this is how it ended up after winded it

I will order some SS bearings and call it a day.
thanks folks for all the input

The Baja Guy

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D