506 from steelfish

Started by Shark Hunter, February 15, 2015, 05:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

This is not what I planned on doing this evening. This is the first 506 I have laid my paws on. So I tore it completely down.
It had a questionable handle. Non correct handle nut. Slop in the sleeve that was unacceptable A Newell clamp with no bottom portion. I am not griping. I know what I bought. Lets get started.

Cleaned the bearings and relubed with ecoseal. Polished all the parts including the spool. Going to replace the brass gear with a Black Pearl set my buddy Bob gave me. The Handle from Wayne which is the tightest stock version I have ever touched. This setup will be perfect for the Kayak.
Stainless Sleeve and dog. Had to open the plate a little bit for the spacer, then cut the screws down to fit the 349 clamp.

Kept the stock 3 stack. The biggest PIA was cutting the screws down to fit the new clamp. All my other Jigmasters don't have both rings and I can't use the McMaster Carr screws on this one.

The 5:1 Black Pearl Gears sound like a thrashing machine in this one. They are stout, just Loud!
I have a lot of other reels that need attention, but this is all for now. Thanks Alex. ;)
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Sal did a test on the 5:1 gear set in the 505 and noted that the gear stripped after 10lb of drag on a rolling test. I wonder if that was just a one time experience or not. Let me know how the gears fit! Solid work on the reel, as always Daron!!

BMITCH

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 15, 2015, 06:35:54 AM
Sal did a test on the 5:1 gear set in the 505 and noted that the gear stripped after 10lb of drag on a rolling test. I wonder if that was just a one time experience or not. Let me know how the gears fit! Solid work on the reel, as always Daron!!

I thought the fix for the stripped gear was a new and improved pinion?? I have one that Alan C. Sent to me that was to fix this issue..I think. I can't remember, so many reels so little time. Maybe someone else can confirm this?
luck is the residue of design.

DaBigOno

Very nicely done! 

What did you use to "open up the plate for the spacer"?
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

It only needed a little Al. I just used the dremel with a small sanding wheel.
I also goofed on the yoke. A ss yoke is required. The spool shaft is a tad smaller in the 506 compared to the 500. I think that and the old yoke are causing the gears to sound so noisy.
Cone gave me this set as a gift. It came with the spacer, so I don't think it was from the first run that needed a replacement pinion. I'm just going to put the stock gears back In this one and save them for a 500. I just wanted to show steelfish that this reel is good to go. ;D
Life is Good!

steelfish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 15, 2015, 07:51:43 PM
I just wanted to show steelfish that this reel is good to go. ;D

damn Daron, you just did an awesome work on the reel, and with this I just found out that I have a lot to learn about bringing to new life this small old reels.

I keep learning and learning everyday in this forum, thanks to all.
take care Daron.

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

I still have a lot to learn myself Alex. That is what its all about here. ;)
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 15, 2015, 07:51:43 PM
It only needed a little Al. I just used the dremel with a small sanding wheel.
I also goofed on the yoke. A ss yoke is required. The spool shaft is a tad smaller in the 506 compared to the 500. I think that and the old yoke are causing the gears to sound so noisy.
Cone gave me this set as a gift. It came with the spacer, so I don't think it was from the first run that needed a replacement pinion. I'm just going to put the stock gears back In this one and save them for a 500. I just wanted to show steelfish that this reel is good to go. ;D

I asked because I have a few spacers from Black Pearl, and they are all tight-fitting where it "binds" when cranking the handle.  I prefer not altering the side plate, although sanding down the Stainless Steel spacers is a pain.

Alto Mare

If they fit and are very tight, I would leave them alone, eventually they will work themselves in, usually doesn't take long. These are designed to feel snug, they won't help if they're lose.
if you did need to have yours lose, go ahead and sand them down, those are not stainless steel, they're chromed brass, a much better material for what it's intended to.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

DaBigOno

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 15, 2015, 11:23:30 PM
If they fit and are very tight, I would leave them alone, eventually they will work themselves in, usually doesn't take long. These are designed to feel snug, they won't help if they're lose.
if you did need to have yours lose, go ahead and sand them down, those are not stainless steel, they're chromed brass, a much better material for what it's intended to.

Thanks Alto!

I'll give it another go, hopefully I'll get them worked in before my fishing season starts.