BLING-500 Accurate conversion

Started by Big Tim, February 15, 2015, 05:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

txangler81

Alan what is the purpose of the extra washer and is that needed for delrin washers under the main gear.

Dustin

alantani

no delrin, only greased carbon fiber. 

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2015, 03:17:41 AM
no delrin, only greased carbon fiber. 

I have been wanting to hear your thought on this topic!

alantani

i've never tried delrin.  i'm sure it works well.  the big advantage i saw was eliminating the carbon fiber "dust" that could gum up the dog.  i've had this "gen II" design in mind for a long time, though.  the first time i saw it was on a newell reel.  it though it was brilliant!  the main problem i see with the gen II set up is the extra cost.   :-\

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2015, 04:12:29 PM
i've never tried delrin.  i'm sure it works well.  the big advantage i saw was eliminating the carbon fiber "dust" that could gum up the dog.  i've had this "gen II" design in mind for a long time, though.  the first time i saw it was on a newell reel.  it though it was brilliant!  the main problem i see with the gen II set up is the extra cost.   :-\

I have both the gen II setups, one with CF and one with Delrin. There is a difference in feel! The CF has more of a friction feel and the Delrin has more of a bearing feel. Underload and when a fish is stripping drag, I have not been able to see and advantage. That said, I swapped out delrin for CF under gear washers in More modern Star drag reels and noticed a significant drop in drag numbers.

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 20, 2015, 08:35:15 AM
Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2015, 04:12:29 PM

I have both the gen II setups, one with CF and one with Delrin. There is a difference in feel! The CF has more of a friction feel and the Delrin has more of a bearing feel. Underload and when a fish is stripping drag, I have not been able to see and advantage. That said, I swapped out delrin for CF under gear washers in More modern Star drag reels and noticed a significant drop in drag numbers.
Jason,  thanks for checking it out.
We need some more input from other members, it will help determine what's best.
I know I've sent a couple of rolls of the Acetal out to members, and still doing it...we'll see.
I personally do not agree with your statement, I've tested many many reels, even larger ones.
To me the Acetal washer feels way smoother than the carbon washer for under the gear, at start in the middle and especially under load at the top.
The main gear ( drag unit) should slide without friction, that's what gives you a smooth working reel.
A smooth working reel is the key. Less heat buildup, less chance of breaking down, easier to manage and most of all , able to increase drag numbers with our customizing.

Sal 
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

I think you missed my statement. As I stated the delrin gives more of a bearing feel, i.e. smooth, fluid feeling under load. In the heat of the moment I am unable to feel a direct difference. Which ideally should be expected. Now as of heat build up, I can imagine the added friction of the cf washer adding to heat. As my drag tests aren't as intense as yours and I do not posess a heat radar gun like you or plan to, I will fully imagine and rely on the truth that the delrin has better heat distribution. Last I will say this, with out a doubt the delrin will last longer And has better surface wear resistance.  Now as for the modern star drags that have had the lost of drag power, I feel this is related to the fact that the stack relies on the thickness and the friction of the under washer to add to the drag numbers. As I will stand by my testing that the cf under gear washer does add a slight amount of drag,  given in most cases it is only 1 do 2lbs and in modern a bit more.

Alto Mare

Sorry Jason you're right and I was going to correct it, but you beat me to it with your reply.
I do agree with most of what you have said, but I disagree with the part when the fish takes the line, you should really have been able to tell a difference there.
Again, I do appreciate all that you do, your input is important, especially to me.
As we know, everyone is entitle to their opinion, if someone would find that what I'm saying doesn't make any sense, I would be more than ok with that, but I would want them to prove it to me ;).
Later buddy.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.