removeing knobs from handles

Started by bob v, February 15, 2015, 09:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob v

I was wondering if there is a way to remove the old bakelite-plastic knobs from handles that are too far gone or if you want to sand blast and powder coat? Anyone try this and what were the results?.....bob v

Tightlines667

Where there is a will there is a way.  Search the forum.  I believe someone has posted about how to do this.  I seem to recall the process involving heat.  I have yet to attempt it personally.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

jg125

Quote from: bob v on February 15, 2015, 09:18:49 PM
I was wondering if there is a way to remove the old bakelite-plastic knobs from handles that are too far gone or if you want to sand blast and powder coat? Anyone try this and what were the results?.....bob v
The only way I know is to drill out the rivet most new knobs I used I had to re drill hole with a 6mm bit the penn 114h I didn't have too there is a few guys on here that sell handles and knobs on this site try looking in the for sale section and sure they have instructions for what they sell.

surfcaster

I tried it before the bakelight does not like heat They usually crack. the black knobs come right off with heat.
  got a few spares if you need one. tight lines Richie

[][/]

Alto Mare

I did a couple and never cracked the knob, maybe i got lucky :-\. I do not heat the knob, just the shaft. I use Map/Pro, usually just 10-15 seconds and have a couple of rags ready to pull. I've noticed if you apply excessive heat, the hole on the knob gets too enlarged and a little out of shape.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jerseymic

Hi Bob v,

Made a press to remove knobs which I have had success with.

Largest removed so far is a 6/0, only had one break and that was a smaller one.

I always put the handle in the freezer for 24 hours before trying to remove the knob.

It was made out of some scrap aluminium I had, would be better made from steel plate as the aluminium flexes somewhat, and the design could do with a bit of modifying, which I will get around to sometime.

It is not precision engineering, but I am a carpenter ;D

Also, if you put the plate in front of the removed knob, you can use it as a press to put the knob back onto a new arm.

Mike.

Tightlines667

Looks simple yet effective.  Maybe I don't need that benchtop press I've been eyeing afterall.  A couple of metal plates w/stout bolts would do the trick.  Thanks for sharing.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

bob v

Nice idea Mike, I might give it a try. Are the knobs pressed on or glued?.....bob v

Jerseymic

Started on a modified remover today out of steel.

A clamp piece to hold the arm against the back plate instead of clamping the arm in the vice.

Cut slots in the back-plate so I can position the clamp piece where I like.

Drilled an indentation in the back-plate so the rivet wasn't touching.

Covered the back plate and the inside face of the clamp piece with thin rubber, to protect the arm.

Have yet to cut the plate that presses the knob off out of steel, in fact I will cut two, one with a narrow slot for the smaller arms, and one with a wider slot for the larger arms.

A friend of mine has named it 'THE MEVAGISSEY KNOB PULLER'

Bob v, the knobs I have removed have all been pressed on, no sign of any adhesive.

Mike.

Keta

Nice Mike, I'm working on pulling some shafts in handles with the arm removed.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jerseymic

Quote from: Keta on February 16, 2015, 04:41:25 PM
Nice Mike, I'm working on pulling some shafts in handles with the arm removed.

Thank you Lee, it is not very pretty but it works, I am sure you could make something that has a lot more finesse.

All my metal working tools consist of, is a drill press, files, hacksaws and a Dremel  :(

It would have been easier for me to make it out of timber, but it would have been rather large  ;D

How do you go about what you are working on?

Mike.

Keta

If shipping wasn't so much you might of had a surprise in the mail.... :D

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Jerseymic

Quote from: Keta on February 16, 2015, 07:39:12 PM
If shipping wasn't so much you might of had a surprise in the mail.... :D

Lee,

You know I don't mind paying for things, what have you got    ;)

Keta

I was thinking a SS handle puller.

Mark Twain