SENATOR lever drag??

Started by RTT, February 19, 2015, 03:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RTT

I was on e-bay and cam across this Penn Senator Lever Drag. 

Does anyone know anyting about these reels??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Penn-Senator-30-60-lb-line-Reel-/111584811883?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19faf91b6b

Thank you
Ray

Bryan Young

I serviced a few.  Graphite framed reels.  They are very nice and come with HT-100 drag washer.

It was Penn's competition to the TLD's I believe.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

I think they are labeled the GLS...but I don't think they are in the Senators series though.  Agreed, most likely competition for the TLD's.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

the_reel_doc

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 19, 2015, 04:00:51 PM
I think they are labeled the GLS...but I don't think they are in the Senators series though.  Agreed, most likely competition for the TLD's.

Three Models 25, 40, and 45. The one in the auction has a Senator handle on it. They originally came with a handle that was counter balanced.

handi2

I just finished a couple of the 25's. Yes they are much like the TLD but have 2 spring loaded SS dogs. A very heavy thick right side plate a HT-100 drag that can be turned over. Most parts are still available.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on February 20, 2015, 12:20:24 AM
I just finished a couple of the 25's. Yes they are much like the TLD but have 2 spring loaded SS dogs. A very heavy thick right side plate a HT-100 drag that can be turned over. Most parts are still available.

Good point on parts availability, and drag material.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

good reels, not as easy to service as the tld's, but they come with carbon fiber drags already. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Stan

I have a 25 and a 45 that I bought new in around 1998.  They are two of my workhorses.  Haven't done anything but routine clean and lube over the years.

jg125

I have two of the graphite lever drag 45 gls senators yes they are senators good reels but from strike to full they ramp up fast so you have to be careful a little push good bye fish followed alans tutorial with reconfiguring the bevels washers was a bit better but still touchey but them little guys pack some drag.

George4741

Alan did a tutorial on the 40 GLS.  Here is the link: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=23.0

On the top crossbar it is written "Penn 40 GLS Graphite Lever Senator".  If Penn calls it a Senator, then I'm satisfied.  It just isn't what we generally imagine a Senator looks like.
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

Quote from: George4741 on February 20, 2015, 03:22:37 AM
On the top crossbar it is written "Penn 40 GLS Graphite Lever Senator".  If Penn calls it a Senator, then I'm satisfied.  It just isn't what we generally imagine a Senator looks like.

you know, i never noticed that.  i never thought of this reel as a senator. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

coastal_dan

Sweet, good to know there were Lever Drag Senators...sounds like a good trivia question some day  :D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...