New 113n or 114

Started by Rivverrat, February 16, 2015, 11:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 19, 2015, 06:47:18 AM
 Without the aluminum frame, those two less screws mean a weaker reel.
Riverrat, 20 to 25 lbs is a safe drag number with a stock 114H.

I all ready have 3 reels that put out close to 25 lbs. Only reason they aren't doing it is most likely because I have them over stuffed with line.
I have to say 25 lbs. of drag does not inspire confidence regarding what I'm trying to do here at all. I will have to use a  Tib frame.  

Shark Hunter

Jeff,
Lets cut to the chase here. You want a reel to catch some big catfish. If I were in your shoes, I would build a 9/0 or 6/0 that will winch these ladies up and you will be laughing at the guys that did it with the snoopy pole and wieners. :D
When you are ready to get it done. Let me know. ;)
No more talky! ;)

Life is Good!

Rivverrat

9/0 is to big it will have to be a 6/0 or 4/0.

Alto Mare

Get yourself an older 113H, make sure it has the 3.25:1 steel gears, add a full frame and a stainless steel gear sleeve, add some fresh drags and go fish. If you have some extra money, go with Bryan's drag kit or Adam's (Three7ens) kit.
In my opinion, that is all that is needed for those kitties. You might even get lucky grabbing a narrowed one at a very good price on line.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

I've run across some good ones with Accu frames. Im just wanting to be sure I get it right. But even if I build something that doesnt quite work out for what ever reason I can build another cheaper than an Accurrate or Makaira. No that I dont like those reels I like them a lot. I just dont believe its what I need for pulling a record quality Flathead from the logs or other structure fished up close...Jeff   

Rivverrat

Put a call in to Penn with questions regarding structural integrity of the US113 frame. They are supposed to return my call tomorrow.
If I'm going to put something into use & exceed  the limits for what it was designed for,doing this in an endeavor I have devoted part of life to. I want to know specifically where it fails. Not knowing that, it is hard for me to have confidence.

Among other things I do tree work I'm good at it. What sense would it make to to trust my life, suspended from a line that I dont know the specs on? Working while unsure of my ropes ability to hold me. It would have a profound effect on the quality & efficiency of my work.
Of a less serious nature are the tools I use fishing. I receive a great deal of enjoyment from it. I dont want to lose any of this at any level because I don't know if my gear will work or where it fails.
The Penn US113 is now the reel I'm seriously looking at. Its of a good size & acceptable weight. An added plus is that it will cast & do so very well.
Cheaper ways to go, but I really like this real, the fact it is US made, has a long respected history that no other reel can meet in its class.

I am trying to find out how close I can get to 35 lbs. of usable fishing drag with this particular reel. There are issue in doing this with this reel. I have what I think are some viable solutions & some maybe not so much....We'll see

I enjoy my fishing I also take it seriously....Jeff

Tightlines667

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 20, 2015, 12:01:48 AM
Put a call in to Penn with questions regarding structural integrity of the US113 frame. They are supposed to return my call tomorrow.
If I'm going to put something into use & exceed  the limits for what it was designed for,doing this in an endeavor I have devoted part of life to. I want to know specifically where it fails. Not knowing that, it is hard for me to have confidence.

Among other things I do tree work I'm good at it. What sense would it make to to trust my life, suspended from a line that I dont know the specs on? Working while unsure of my ropes ability to hold me. It would have a profound effect on the quality & efficiency of my work.
Of a less serious nature are the tools I use fishing. I receive a great deal of enjoyment from it. I dont want to lose any of this at any level because I don't know if my gear will work or where it fails.
The Penn US113 is now the reel I'm seriously looking at. Its of a good size & acceptable weight. An added plus is that it will cast & do so very well.
Cheaper ways to go, but I really like this real, the fact it is US made, has a long respected history that no other reel can meet in its class.

I am trying to find out how close I can get to 35 lbs. of usable fishing drag with this particular reel. There are issue in doing this with this reel. I have what I think are some viable solutions & some maybe not so much....We'll see

I enjoy my fishing I also take it seriously....Jeff

I like the looks of that reel.  I havn't had one in hand, much less put it through the paces, but looking at the design...I think you will be hard pressed to push it hard enough to 'fail'.  The gear ratio is low, and gear set is tough, the spool, and one piece frame look solid, the gear sleeve is well supported, its double dogged (though individual dog engagement may nit have quite as much surface area or be directly oposite one another, they should do theit job.  The baja style drag system should give you the drag numbers your after.  I would definately do a pre-service to pack all non spool bearings full of grease though.  It might be possible thst side loads on the under gear bearing (if its a standard bearing), could cause it to fail under high side loading (but it appears that the main gear derived load is distributed to the outter race?).  Not sure if the jack is stainless, if not it could get chewed up over time.  The other area to watch might be the 2 piece free-fliating style right side spool.  If fished beyond the reel specs, not sure if the support would keep it from deforming (mind you, I am thinking excessively large liads on the spool, particarily when not in gear, which is a near impossibility.  I think this reel design is likely to be able to hold up to much higher numbers then speced at before you see an actual failure, but I for one am of the mindset thst the redl should be fished within specs when stock.  I think it would be a good choice, but as I said, this is pure speculation.  Good luck on getting Penn to tell you how their new flagship reel is going to fail though.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Looks like you're bouncing all over the place and can't make up your mind:-\. Every reels have their purpose, for what you're going after the 113H is a much stronger reel than the US113. I don't see why you would need a floating spool and 4.3:1 gears, you will have a hard time turning the handle on that size fish. You've also mentioned the spool shaft, the tip of the spool shaft on the US Senator is as big as a tooth pic :-\.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rivverrat

Hey Tightlines thanks for your thoughts...Glad some one else shares my same sicknes.

The biggest thing I think that will help me in this endeavor is that I don't need the line capacity that's offered. Allowing me to fill the reel to 1/2 capacity. I'm hoping this alone will give me an honest 30lbs. Though I'm hopeful it will be more.  

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 20, 2015, 12:34:49 AM
Looks like you're bouncing all over the place and can't make up your mind:-\. Every reels have their purpose, for what you're going after the 113H is a much stronger reel than the US113. I don't see why you would need a floating spool and 4.3:1 gears, you will have a hard time turning the handle on that size fish. You've also mentioned the spool shaft, the tip of the spool shaft on the US Senator is as big as a tooth pic :-\.
Sal

Good point about the gear ratio, spool shaft, and I might ad cost.  I still like many of the design features on this new model, but I would stick to my origional recommendation, get an older stock 113 (preferably with steel gears.  Upgrade the drag stack, and maybe a few other minor things like handle, and fish it.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 20, 2015, 12:34:49 AM
Sal
No doubt I've been back & forth on this. Thinking out loud here while posting.  You are right I don't need the floating spool. Though I like what that option it gives.The gear ratio could be an issue. The 113H may in fact be stronger but that it is a moot point when there is no clarification of strength or load test to failure of either reel.

maxpowers

Riverrat,

I still would recommend you get the Omoto for what you are after.  It has a lot of short burst drag which is what you are after.

fIsHsTiiCkS

You are after some big cats that's for sure. Look get the triple.  It has the drag, nice and compact, also the lever drag function allows you to switch from strike to full when the extra drag is needed real quick then back to strike when the cat has hit open water. The reel will hold up! Building up a reel has its advantages, but for your needs it's the triple.

Keta

Quote from: maxpowers on February 22, 2015, 06:32:36 AM
Riverrat,

I still would recommend you get the Omoto for what you are after.  It has a lot of short burst drag which is what you are after.

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 22, 2015, 06:42:03 AM
You are after some big cats that's for sure. Look get the triple.  It has the drag, nice and compact, also the lever drag function allows you to switch from strike to full when the extra drag is needed real quick then back to strike when the cat has hit open water. The reel will hold up! Building up a reel has its advantages, but for your needs it's the triple.

That's what I'd do too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

I think you all are giving great advice. I think I can do both as soon as work picks back up. I hope the Omoto is still on sale then. The Omoto will be my first purchas I can pick up good 4 & 6/0 Penn's at great prices all the time.
I do greatly enjoy using reels from different places. It is part of enjoying the fishing experience. For me any way.
Appreciate your all's patience with me flopping about on the deck of indecision. But a lot of that is do to my incapacity in communicating  well on a forum...Jeff