Penn 9 vs. Penn 109

Started by Mic, February 17, 2015, 12:38:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mic

Alan,
Long time no howdy!

Howdy Yawl, from Texas!

Alan,
Myself and Az. High Country Marine Gregg had a conversation this afternoon concerning the Penn 9 vs. Penn 109 Peerless. Several thoughts were discussed such as Drag Washers, Spool Depth, and Level Wind mechanics. So, in no attempt to get any Abu Fellers twisted off, can you or anyone else, post a comment one way or the other ?
I like the Penn's for the sheer fact that these reels can be rebuilt several times for several generations. I honestly expect my grandkids to be fishing with them. Although, I'm not in a hurry for that! My son is fixing to be 9, and I'm fixing to be 49, well lets just say by the time I get to be a grandpa, I'll look like one!

On another note, I haven't found a Tutorial for a 9. I should be able to use the 209 to rebuild the 9 can't I ?

Thanks in advance for any help yawl can give!

Mic

Keta

Quote from: Mic on February 17, 2015, 12:38:05 AMI should be able to use the 209 to rebuild the 9 can't I ?

Yes, they are similar with a few minor differences.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

correct, they are very similar.  good reels, they'll last a long time. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

harryk3616

the 9 has a true free spool, where as, as your letting line out with the 109 the handle turns with the spool, the 9 doesn't turn.  some  parts are interchangeable, reel stand, chrome rings ,crossbars, the side plates or gear mechanisms are not. the spools are not as the 9 has a gear on the end which turns a brass gear in the side plate to turn the worm gear which moves the line guide back and forth. the line guides are different as they have a small piece of sleeve sticking out on one end which binds against the brass gear, one sticks out on the left side, the other the right side. they are a great reel and will last a lifetime,  hose them down after each use, back off on the drag washers, keep them lubed and oiled. always check for side play on the spool and sideplay on the worm  so they aren't binding or too loose, the 9 has a bearing with a spring under it to adjust the tension. the 209 is very similar to the 9, just larger, the schematic might be of some help. the brass and plastic gear have to turn freely, remove them, clean the sideplate and apply light grease and oil, check that they mesh nicely. when i reassemble the reel. i stick the spool in the side with the handle, add other plate and just barely catch the 3 long crossbar screws,a awl or pick thru one of the holes will help you to align up the right side plate , slide in the worm sheild then tighten the screws. add the 2 reel stand screws,  check for spool play and crank the reel, if everything is ok i then add the worm with the line guide, if you put the line guide towards one end ,you can slip it in and catch the square end in the brass gear. sounds complicated but its not.  hope this helps you. you can't go wrong with a penn reel because no matter where you live you can get parts, on line or a tackle store.  take care   i like the 9 better if i had a choice tand screws

Porthos

Rebuilt my 9 with a 24-112H handle:

txangler81

I have both 9s and 109s. They are great. I do have more 9s though. ;D

Mic

Thanks for all the info and opinions yawl.
  I will surly agree with you that the 9's are worth rebuilding and taking care of. The 109's I'll pass on as I've just got it in my head that the same 4 screw gear/drag assembly that they have, has proved itself for so long on the 209's, has got to be the way to go. So, I'll start gathering up some 9's and trade off the 109's.
As far as the 4 screw gear/drag assembly of the 209's goes. It's proven itself in other reels as well. The Penn 210's (high speed) has the same 4 screw gear/drag assembly. I now have 8 of the 210's and on the recommendation of Az. Greg, I'm going to stock up on enough carbon drag washers and stainless steel washer plates to last my son a few years past me!

I have a couple of the Penn 320GTI's, and I figure that's about plenty big enough for hanging into the flathead girls I chase. That's about as big as I need or want. Just stepping back and looking at it. The 9's, the 210's and the 320GTI's have got me just about rounded out on pretty much every form of fish I can find in the Colorado River. No, not that one, the first one. In Texas! Ha! Leave it to a Texan to boast at every opportunity! No offensive fellers, we're kind of like scorpions, we can't help it.
I also have a few Abu's that are sitting in the corner and getting further and further back there. Might be a good time to trade them off to ?

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Alan, I'll be in touch on some replacement parts and other stuff.

Talk at ya soon, Mic

txangler81

the 109 have the same basic design as the 9 the only difference is it doesn't have a true free spool the handle spins when you cast otherwise they are almost identical they use a lot of the same parts.

Mic

Quote from: harryk3616 on February 17, 2015, 03:46:44 AM
the 9 has a true free spool, where as, as your letting line out with the 109 the handle turns with the spool, the 9 doesn't turn.  some  parts are interchangeable, reel stand, chrome rings ,crossbars, the side plates or gear mechanisms are not. the spools are not as the 9 has a gear on the end which turns a brass gear in the side plate to turn the worm gear which moves the line guide back and forth. the line guides are different as they have a small piece of sleeve sticking out on one end which binds against the brass gear, one sticks out on the left side, the other the right side. they are a great reel and will last a lifetime,  hose them down after each use, back off on the drag washers, keep them lubed and oiled. always check for side play on the spool and sideplay on the worm  so they aren't binding or too loose, the 9 has a bearing with a spring under it to adjust the tension. the 209 is very similar to the 9, just larger, the schematic might be of some help. the brass and plastic gear have to turn freely, remove them, clean the sideplate and apply light grease and oil, check that they mesh nicely. when i reassemble the reel. i stick the spool in the side with the handle, add other plate and just barely catch the 3 long crossbar screws,a awl or pick thru one of the holes will help you to align up the right side plate , slide in the worm sheild then tighten the screws. add the 2 reel stand screws,  check for spool play and crank the reel, if everything is ok i then add the worm with the line guide, if you put the line guide towards one end ,you can slip it in and catch the square end in the brass gear. sounds complicated but its not.  hope this helps you. you can't go wrong with a penn reel because no matter where you live you can get parts, on line or a tackle store.  take care   i like the 9 better if i had a choice tand screws

Thanks Harry,
That's exactly the info I was looking for. There are a few parts from the 9 that will interchange with the 109. But very few as you stated. The dog, dog spring, worm gear and bridge assemble are all different between the two as well.
I have settled on the 9 as my Light Weight reel setups and the only reason I can give you is the internal bridge plate and drag gear assembly. If this same type system has kept the 209 alive and well for as log as it has, then something has to be right about it. And further still, gave birth to the 210 with this same bridge plate and drag gear assembly. What a child!
As I am no professional Penn Reel repair Technician and seek all the help and advice I can, I have to learn from those who have made a living or at least friends repairing Penn reels.
Can you or anyone else tell me the retrieval ratio of the 9 vs. the 109 ? I would think the 9 would be a bit slower, just concerned with how much slower.
The other side of the pillow is do you give up strength for speed. I'm thinking slow and steady over quick done. I really think the 9 is a great all around under 20 pound fishing reel that should be able to be rebuilt for quite a while.

Thanks for the advice on loosening the drag when stored and not in use. Never thought about that. I guess drag gears and plates need a day off too~!

Thanks again everyone~!

Keta

9,  3.4:1
109, 3.75:1

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennPeer.aspx#specs

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mic

Quote from: Keta on February 18, 2015, 02:24:52 PM
9,  3.4:1
109, 3.75:1

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/ReelSpecs/PennPeer.aspx#specs

Man,
Yawl are bad enough to peel paint. Thanks Keta!
That ratio difference anit enough to scare me away from the 9's. Thanks for the info for Scotts. Going to check a few places for some Penn parts as well as "Upgrades".

Alan,
I don't know what you pay your crew, but they are sure worth it! Excellent information and how to. Maybe you should think about giving them a raise ? Just a thought  ?

Thanks again Keta~!

Keta

Any time, that's what we do here.

Mark Twain

Porthos

Quote from: Mic on February 18, 2015, 02:59:45 PM...Going to check a few places for some Penn parts as well as "Upgrades"...

Greased HT-100's for drag stack and under gear washer.

If you don't already have the 29L-9 aluminum spool, that's one possible upgrade, although unnecessary if fishing 6lbs of drag or less.

The 9 can take a Type A handle which fits the 9, 500, 113, and a host of other Penns. Scott's has the list of reels outlined:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/24-66.aspx

That's about all the "upgrades" possible from "factory" inventory...

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Keta

As soon as I catch up on a few hundred things I plan on trying to fit one of Alan's Mk II gear sleeves into my 10.  The ratchet has a larger OD so  I'm not sure if it will work but 113H gear sleeves do work in a 349.

Mark Twain

mike1010

Never mind.