Penn Z 710 and 712

Started by coastal_dan, February 17, 2015, 06:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

I'm looking at some of these reels as some freshwater as well as light saltwater spinning rigs.  I'm sure at some point this has been asked, so steer me in the right direction if so :), but what are the thoughts on these for random bay and shallow inshore fishing on a 10-12 lb rod for the 710, and a lighter 8-10 lb rod for the 712?  I find them extremely attractive and my old 710 greenie (shelf piece) looks really well made and simple to repair if need be...  Lets just say I'm tired of the plastic internals on all the new reels, so metal is becoming king in my book (as many of you here have already said).

Thanks folks.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

Well, picked up a 710Z for $30 and bought a new CF drag kit for it.  Very excited to fish this little guy :)
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

I think I'm in love!  This 710z is awesome!  It will be replacing a basically new Cedros on our trip to Hawaii.  God forbid it needs anything I know I can repair it myself.  Maybe that is one of the draws to some of this older gear...self reliance.
Dan from Philadelphia...

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 24, 2015, 03:09:38 AM
I think I'm in love!  This 710z is awesome!  It will be replacing a basically new Cedros on our trip to Hawaii.  God forbid it needs anything I know I can repair it myself.  Maybe that is one of the draws to some of this older gear...self reliance.

I agree on the self reliance and the simplicity yet durablitiy of them. I have long arguments with my friends over my fondness for older penns versus the top of the line avets and shimanos they use. At the end of the day the only thing they my have on me is refinement, while I have the satisfaction of building it up my self and the knowledge it will out last their reel by faaarrrrrr. Let us know what you catch!

fsrmn

Just got another 710z which was advertised as excellent condition.  It was unused. It was too pretty to fish. So I'm trading for a 712z which is in good shape but has a couple marks on it already. They are great reels. I am looking now for a 714z .
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Marcq

Did you know that the penn 710 had the world record for stripe bass at something like seventy some pounds  :o
http://www.stripers247.com/world-record-striped-bass.php

I love my 710 , as a different handle knob now

Marc..

Bryan Young

I have a green 710 that was my step father's reel.  I upgraded to an aluminum spool and it works flawlessly.

But the reel question, Marc, why are you reading Self Magazine?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Marcq

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 24, 2015, 04:56:43 AM
I have a green 710 that was my step father's reel.  I upgraded to an aluminum spool and it works flawlessly.

For the free stuff to do  ;)

Marc..

Alto Mare

Marc, I can breathe better now ;D
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

coastal_dan

Wow, two beautiful examples!  That custom is really sweet, nice job!  This one is in 'very good' fishing condition.  Someone touched it up with some black paint, but all seems sound and the insides look great.  I'll be hunting for a 712z next. 
Dan from Philadelphia...

Bryan Young

Quote from: Marcq on February 24, 2015, 05:48:53 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on February 24, 2015, 04:56:43 AM

For the free stuff to do  ;)

Marc..
I was looking at Jessica Alba. ;)
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

I put in a new drag kit all greased up with Cals and dropped in one of Sal's delrin washers (Thanks!).  The PO did a nice job keeping the insides clean and greased luckily.  Looking forward to using it on the surf in Oahu this weekend :).
Dan from Philadelphia...

Bryan Young

There's a lot of Papio being caught.  Good luck.  Note that there are some closed areas on Oahu, so you should check with a local fishing store and pick up a regulations pamphlet.  Brian's Fishing Supply, J. Hara, 5 Oceans 7 Seas, Ewa Beach Buy and Sell, Wailua Fishing Supply,...

coastal_dan

We are staying about 3 minutes from the Ewa Beach Buy and Sell.  Looking forward to going there and looking around.  Thanks for the input Bryan!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Bryan Young

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 26, 2015, 04:11:51 PM
We are staying about 3 minutes from the Ewa Beach Buy and Sell.  Looking forward to going there and looking around.  Thanks for the input Bryan!
Say Hi to Bruddah Bill.  He is the owner of the shop and member of our site.