What do I have here?

Started by PhilR, February 18, 2015, 02:06:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilR

Hi Everybody.

New member here.  I've gotten the bug to fix up older reels after rebuilding a couple of Penn 209s that my father-in-law and I use on Columbia River sturgeon. I've been using the tutorials here, which are awesome. In the meantime, I picked up a box of reels at an estate sale, and have been able to identify most.  There were a couple of jigmasters and squidders, and I really like the graphics in the side plates.

However, these two have me stumped.  The first (black reel) is totally unmarked, but it looks like it had an emblem that has been lost.  The second (white reel) also looks like it had a spot for a nameplate, but all it says is Made in France.

Another newbie question: the black reel has all metal drag washers, square to eared to square, etc.  Should I just leave it like that, or should I replace some with carbontex washers?

My apologies if this is in the wrong place, or if there is a guide to reel identification somewhere I couldn't find.

Thanks for your help!

Keta

I see the white reel comes with the standard cracked side plate, I have yet to see one that wasn't cracked.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Unutt

Quote from: Keta on February 18, 2015, 02:28:38 AM
I see the white reel comes with the standard cracked side plate, I have yet to see one that wasn't cracked.

Including mine. 

The bait caster with white side plates looks like Garcia Mitchell 600.  I have a 622 but it looks a little different.  Different handle for sure.
So many reels, so little time.

basto

I am wondering what keeps the handle nut keeper from turning.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Keta

It fully engages the nut in 2 places.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

basto

Oh yes, I see it now. Didn`t see the lower arm of the keeper. I thought it only had one arm.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Keta

I have 2 of them and have seen 2 or 3 more so I cheated.

Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Welcome Phil! ;D
Yes, that's an Garcia Mitchell. Comes standard with the cracked plate. ;)
Looks like yours came with the Cracked handle as well.
I think this was their attempt at the Penn 114H.
I've seen others around here.
Life is Good!

PhilR

Thanks for the quick replies.  And here I paid extra for the cracks, thinking that they were special...

Any thoughts on the other reel?  Seems pretty generic, but I'm still curious.

Keta

Is there anything on the bottom of the reel foot?

Mark Twain

tristan

The first reel looks similar to several models from Ocean City reels; are the side plates somewhat teardrop in shape?   

Bryan Young

The first reel was made for big box stores in the 600 and many of them were using stainless steel parts.  I too have one that I used to fish but the line pawl or worm gear is bad and I have had the chance to look for parts of similar dimensions.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Black one is Ocean City 922 -- metal emblem missing from round indentation.

White one is one of the Mitchell Multipliers in the 600 series.  Even though the sideplate is cracked -- it is still held together fine -- and will fish OK for a back up.  You can change out the old drags in these to CF greased -- and that will make a big improvement.  I forget what size drags these take -- but you can also adjust the drag disc hole and trim to fit.

I have a few of these -- and only 2 of 5 have an intact, uncracked Sideplate.

Parts are not available for either of these, although I do have a few new spools for the 922.  A donor parts reel is your best bet if you are going to keep them to fish.  At least you will have some parts.  And the reels can generally be picked up pretty cheaply.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Keta

I'm relying on old memory but I think they use a 6-60 drag washer.  It's been at least 20 years since I've had either of mine apart. 

Mark Twain

PhilR

Keta, nothing on the reel foot.

Thanks again for the quick ID.