501 Upgrades questions

Started by Padre, February 18, 2015, 06:56:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padre

I think my sweet bride has gotten me a 501 for my birthday coming up. I intend to fish it here with 30lb mono, and i've been combing through posts about which upgrades to do. I'll clean and grease everything obviously, but it seems the next recommended change is to the SS gear sleeve. If i change that, do i need to change to an SS dog as well? If i want to do that, how do i remove and replace the dog from the bridge? It looks like the most sensible thing to do would be to go to the SS bridge that includes double SS dogs, but i'd still like to know how to replace the dog on the existing bridge.

Beyond those changes, what else is really important? Handle replacement? I might do a tib frame eventually but not for now.

Thanks!

Bryan Young

At 30#, you would be fine with the reel just as is.

The only thing I would do is grease the drag washers with Cal's Universal and Drag Grease and add a grease an under gear Carbontex drag washer from SmoothDrag
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

"If i change that, do i need to change to an SS dog as well?"

Not necessary but AR dogs are cheap.

"how do i remove and replace the dog from the bridge?"

It lifts right off of the post.

"what else is really important?"

Handle, drag upgrade, and Tib frame.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Padre

Quote from: Keta on February 18, 2015, 07:09:13 PM
"how do i remove and replace the dog from the bridge?"

It lifts right off of the post.

Thanks! I couldn't tell if the post were peened over or something like that.

Thanks for the info, guys!

Shark Hunter

If you are talking about the sleeve. There is a small pin that holds it on the Bridge.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Padre,

What do you really want to do because that reel fishes perfectly fine with 30# line with no upgrades.

It then becomes a matter of economics and want versus needs.  The sky is the limit with this little reel.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Padre on February 18, 2015, 06:56:49 PM
Beyond those changes, what else is really important?

Don't forget that you only think she bought you the reel, so what's really important is that you actually get the reel.  ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Padre

C'est vrai, Dom. That is the all important piece.

If she didn't take the hint, I'll still be looking, but I have a pretty good feeling that she did. Should know by the weekend.

Newell Nut

Padre
This site can confuse folks a little. The 501 is just fine as is if you indeed get it. The fun begins when you want the 501 to have the strength of a 4/0 in a smaller package. Okay now get out the credit card and start shopping for upgrades. Want a 4/0 to beat a stock 6/0, no problem. Get out he credit card and start shopping. Relax and enjoy the reel with a few little tweaks that Bryan mentioned on the drag grease and think about all the options down the road for the rainy days when you are bored.

Keta

I've had to replace so many brass gearsleves that I feel that upgrade to SS is mandatory, even when using a Jigmaster for kokanee or bluegill  :D

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Here' s list if upgrades:

Accuplates Magnum - Jigmaster plates with mostly 113H guts
Accuplates - aluminum sideplates with Jigmaster guts
Alan Tani'Tani's stainless steel gear sleeve
Black Pearl stainless steel bridge with double dog system
Black Pearl Stainless steel gears or Newell stainless steel gears
Alan Tani's, Adam's or many others upgraded handle arms and handles.
My 5 stack drag kit.
Spool bearing  ( it's really bushings) to Newell's Delrin molded bushings
Accurate or Tiburon frame
Black Pearl Stainless yoke and eccentric

I think that's it.  Oh and screws...from Phillips to Allen or Torx

Good luck and expect to spend a whole lot of money with every upgrade...but the reel will have its "that's so cool" factor.

Keta

Double dogs and SS AR dog/dogs. 

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Thanks Lee.  I knew I forgot something.

Keta

They should come with the gear sleeve as a kit,  :D

Mark Twain

Padre

So, IF she did, in fact, get it for me, I'll tear it down, clean it and grease everything. I'll check the condition of the gear sleeve and go from there. But if it's got one of those little football handles, that may have to go even if everything else is solid.