Int. 965 loose reel foot pins...recommendations needed.

Started by coastal_dan, February 20, 2015, 02:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Ok, picked up this reel recently and the seller neglected to say that the foot pins were slightly loose...grr.  Oh well, a good challenge always awaits.  Obviously its not worth buying a new frame/foot assembly, it would cost more than I paid for the reel.  Also, I looked into doing a rod brace underneath but none available for the 965.  So a couple of my thoughts...

1) Leave it alone and just zip tie over the frame and foot to the rod...
2) Use some strategically placed JB weld and tape off what doesn't get adhesive
3) Grind off the pin under the foot, remove it and drill tap for a new threaded fastener
4) Open to other thoughts :)

Pictures of the two pins I'm talking about.

Thanks folks.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Bryan Young

I would try to re-peen them by zip tying the reel to a pipe of similar curvature  and taking a punch to the top side and give the rivet a good whack.

Second would probably JB weld

Third may do 1 and 2 above.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

coastal_dan

Well, I think it turned out decent, put some torque on it and seems good to go, we'll find out  ;D  Used a punch and hammer, then applied the JB weld.

Dan from Philadelphia...

DaBigOno

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 20, 2015, 02:19:37 PM
3) Grind off the pin under the foot, remove it and drill tap for a new threaded fastener

If it doesn't work out, I would do #3
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: DaBigOno on February 23, 2015, 02:26:46 PM
Quote from: coastal_dan on February 20, 2015, 02:19:37 PM

If it doesn't work out, I would do #3

x2

harryk3616

looks messy,  if peening over didn't work,  i would grind the pins underneath, remove the reel stand, either re-tab and thread the base, use flat head screws like on the ring of a jigmaster, or try and rivit it with stainless steel rivits.  good luck

coastal_dan

It's not really visible unless taken off the rod, so looks don't concern me a whole lot as long as its out of sight.  My concern with rivets is that the reel won't sit right on the rod due to the rivet protruding lower than the radius of the reel foot.  Togging starts in April so that will be the tell tale.
Dan from Philadelphia...

harryk3616

ok dan       when you say toggies, are they tautogs, blackfish?    any way   enjoy your fishing adventures, have a ball

coastal_dan

Yes sir, tautog aka blackfish.  One of my favorites from the kayak.  I did just look at some countersunk rivets...I may be dig into this route if need be.  Thanks all for the suggestions.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Bryan Young

Quote from: coastal_dan on February 24, 2015, 12:40:34 AM
Yes sir, tautog aka blackfish.  One of my favorites from the kayak.  I did just look at some countersunk rivets...I may be dig into this route if need be.  Thanks all for the suggestions.
Looks great.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D