Penn 99 and Jigmasters

Started by Phinaddict, November 18, 2010, 01:01:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phinaddict

HI all,
I need a little help as I don't currently have a 500 series. I picked up a vintage 99 Silver Beach,  (not to be confused with a 500 converted to "99"). The trouble is that the side plates were both totally shot. Let me rephrase that, they were melted. Since new side plates are out of the question, can I substitute Jigmaster sideplates? The outer beauty rings from this 99 measures 3.065" OD. Can someone measure their 500 series outer rings, PLEASE?      Do we have a match?

I know the spool, bars and base were used to make "albacore specials", so I thinking that all the side plate holes should line up.

If we don't have a match, I'll Ebay the internals, (140 or 155 size),  keep the spools, and build a "99 Albacore Special"  from Newell base/bars and Jiggy internals and side plates.
Thank you for your help in advance!
Gene

So, what's the OD of a Jiggy beauty ring?
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know

Norcal Pescador

Jiggy? JIGGY? Please show proper respect for a reel that is still in production after 52 years!  ;D ;D

My 1997-model "Jiggy" measured 3.088" on the left side plate and 3.084" on the right side plate. Mine only has inside rings - Right ring is 3.065-3.078 depending on where the calipers are placed [vertical, horizontal, diagonal].
I couldn't get a measure on the left without disassembly.

Good luck on this, Gene. Let us know if your plan works and post pics on before and after!  8)

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

the spool and bars may be the only thing salvageable from this reel.  you could get a jigmaster and switch out the spool and bars and have a jigmaster 99 conversion. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phinaddict

Thanks Rob!

Looks like I'll find a Jigmaster , ( giving it the respect it is due), and give it a shot. Fleabay, here I come!

Like Alans' garage, I think I have some 99 Newell bars in the shed somewhere....
The Two Rules of Success:
1. Don't tell everything you know