Baja 113hn and 113h pinions

Started by basto, February 22, 2015, 08:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

One thing I have found with the disengaging spool design in well used reels. If you have the reel in hand and crank reel fast and stop the spool will spin a few seconds more and make a racket until the spool and pinion engage. It sounds bad but is not a problem.

It was a concern on 2 reels I repaired for a customer until I went and checked a new one and another used one. The other used one did the same thing. The new one didn't.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SoCalAngler

Quote from: BMITCH on February 23, 2015, 10:40:14 AM
Basto, thanks for the side by side comparison. I'm currently working on a Baja. Nice reel! Only thing I don't like is that tiny little bearing on the spool shaft. I believe this to be the weak point in this design. I'm no engineer, but I think if salt water was to get to this bearing somehow, this would cause some major problems.
Bob

Maybe but the 113HN's have been out what 10 or more years now. I think if it was a issue we would of heard something by now.

Rivverrat

Quote from: handi2 on February 24, 2015, 12:24:05 AM
If you have the reel in hand and crank reel fast and stop the spool will spin a few seconds more and make a racket until the spool and pinion engage. It sounds bad but is not a problem.

All of my Amabassadeur 6500C3 7000ct & 9000ct & 10000 all did as you explain. I always believed it to be expected based on their design. Only on reels that have a completely locked retrieve have I seen different.  

basto

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 23, 2015, 05:33:57 PM
Basto, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post these pics. They helped with something I was wondering about. Also if in my prior post I came across wrong in any way I wanted to apologize.
I sometimes jump in with both mouths open. Any way after rereading I don't think you or any one was attempting to make the point that I argued against. Again, thanks for the pics I did find them to be a benefit...Jeff
Hi Jeff
No reason for apologies. Sorry I took so long replying to you. We have had a cyclone here and the last few days without electricity.
I am writing this with my MacBook plugged into my new Honda generator.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n