Baja 113hn and 113h pinions

Started by basto, February 22, 2015, 08:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

The pinion of the Baja has a male connection where it connects to the spool, whereas the 113h has a female connection to the spool.

The sub shaft on the Baja (13a) is 4mm thick which is the same thickness as the spool axle is on the left side of the Baja and the 113h.
The pinion side of the spool shaft on the 113h is 5.5mm thick.
The outside diameter of the pinion gear of the 113h is 12mm and the OD of the Baja`s pinion is 10 mm.

Just a bit of trivia, I thought might interest someone.
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

basto

I like the Baja`s double eccentric springs. Did you notice?

Alto Mare

Basto, thank you for refreshing my memory. Having the pinion connection reversed, makes it much stronger. I've put a notch on that pinion for some of my personal experimenting and it was very tough to cut. With that type of connection, you would get away with a smaller shaft.
This reel is a nice reel, but there are other options.
Some times having less parts is a good thing, you can't break what you don't have.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

borchcl

Right Sal, the "fewer parts is better" concept seams to be missing in current engineering trends.

basto

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 22, 2015, 11:56:26 AM
Basto, thank you for refreshing my memory. Having the pinion connection reversed, makes it much stronger. I've put a notch on that pinion for some of my personal experimenting and it was very tough to cut. With that type of connection, you would get away with a smaller shaft.
This reel is a nice reel, but there are other options.
Some times having less parts is a good thing, you can't break what you don't have.
Yes Sal, I agree. I don`t much like the size of the tiny axial bearing on the sub shaft.
The reversed pinion connection reminded me of a Daiwa spin reel I have that has a reversed connection from the handle pivot to the main gear. The Baja hash`t been around long enough yet to have proven itself.
Basto

Rivverrat

Diameter of a shaft is only one way to determine shaft strength. Increase the quality of the steel used then dimensions can be much smaller. While also surpassing prior stress & load requirements. We are are not to far from bar stock & tubing being offered in a lamination form the better metal suppliers.

The envelope has just been partially opened regarding the strength & weight reductions of the future.   Something I believe is sorely missed here is when comparing the diameter of a spindle on a reel that was designed more than 50 years ago, to a reel using better, stronger material  for a spindle & assuming it's weaker based on it's smaller size.

Go out & grab the fender or frame of on anything 50-70  years old do the same on your new sedan. No calipers or measurement of any kind needed you can feel the difference. Those old Penns, fine reels that they are, were built on a design from more than 50 years ago & by the standard & level of knowledge regarding metallurgy of that day. Worked then it still works now.

However, looking at something such as a spindle & its diameter today & making a judgment on strength based on a  comparison with something designed more than 60 years ago.....well this just not make good sense....Jeff

Tightlines667

I actually like the idea of a free floating spool, and the baja design.  Its true it has more parts, and that the spool shaft is a much smaller diameter, but doesn't that shaft get supported in a much shorter distance then the older style senators?  Maybe I'm missing something, but I thought the right side spool shaft is supported well before  where it is supported by the right side plate bearing in the standard senator config.  The distance over which the force is applied to the spool shaft is important when considering the load the shaft is capable of bearing.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

I like the free spool feature also. But to be clear I was just speaking of the spindle diameter. I hope to have both in hand some time soon so I can look.

Shark Hunter

Good detective work Basto. ;)
All the talk about the Baja, I'll go the old school route. Since I Kayak my baits out, the floating spool doesn't mean anything to me. Stainless gears, insert and Aluminum frame is all I need. ;D
Life is Good!

basto

Quote from: Shark Hunter on February 23, 2015, 04:38:30 AM
Good detective work Basto. ;)
All the talk about the Baja, I'll go the old school route. Since I Kayak my baits out, the floating spool doesn't mean anything to me. Stainless gears, insert and Aluminum frame is all I need. ;D
Whatever blows your hair back Daron. I am fortunate that I have so many reels that it doesn`t matter too much. All the Senators work OK with proper maintenance.
All the best!
Basto

Shark Hunter

Exactly Basto!
We have enough reels to know the difference. Its all good Buddy! ;)
I really meant, "Good Detective work", nothing more than that. ;D
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Basto, thanks for the side by side comparison. I'm currently working on a Baja. Nice reel! Only thing I don't like is that tiny little bearing on the spool shaft. I believe this to be the weak point in this design. I'm no engineer, but I think if salt water was to get to this bearing somehow, this would cause some major problems.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: BMITCH on February 23, 2015, 10:40:14 AM
Basto, thanks for the side by side comparison. I'm currently working on a Baja. Nice reel! Only thing I don't like is that tiny little bearing on the spool shaft. I believe this to be the weak point in this design. I'm no engineer, but I think if salt water was to get to this bearing somehow, this would cause some major problems.
Bob

Hey, you know what they say! It's not the size that counts  ;D

I wonder if this had been an area of failure or has it held up for most!

BMITCH

Bearings or lack there of..that's one of the reasons why the 112H is one of my favorite reels.
luck is the residue of design.

Rivverrat

Basto, I wanted to thank you for taking the time to post these pics. They helped with something I was wondering about. Also if in my prior post I came across wrong in any way I wanted to apologize.
I sometimes jump in with both mouths open. Any way after rereading I don't think you or any one was attempting to make the point that I argued against. Again, thanks for the pics I did find them to be a benefit...Jeff