Okuma Makaira vs Accurate BX2

Started by BonesF15, July 14, 2011, 03:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BonesF15

Trying to decide between the two for 7+ reels.  I can get good prices on both, just a little more for the BX2's.
Fit and finish?
Performance.
Maintainability?

Thanks

Bryan Young

Double dogs vs. dual anti-reverse bearings...therefore, I would go with the Makaira.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

no, single anti-reverse roller bearing, no thrust bearing, and accurates don't even come with a bearing sleeve.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Awe, fo pa.  They didn't update their schematics.

Was it the BX2 series we were talking with the anti-reverse bearings the other day, and the high failure rate when they went with one instead of 2?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

sadly, i believe that is correct.  i heard of a couple of failures from the guys on bloodydecks.  never seen one myself, but the single anti-reverse roller bearing was an immediate concern as soon as i saw it.  bones, how much line do you need?  what weight?  if 400 yards of straight 65# spectra works for you, the makaira 10 II is the reel that i could recommend. 

BonesF15

I am thinking 5 with 100 JB hollow thinking 30se or 20II
also 4 or the 10 or 15's with 80 or 100 hollow and maybe an 8 or the Andros for jigging.

Do these cast as well as the Talica's?

alantani

the makaira 20 will hold 500 yards of 100# spectra.  i just bought one.  the makaira 10 will hold 400 yards of 65# spectra.  the makaira 8 will hold 350 yards of 50# spectra.  if you are going that route, see about going okuma prostaff.  the andros is nice, but i prefer the shoulders of the makaira.

alantani

Rivverrat

I cant for the life of me figure out why Accurrate would think not having anti reverse dogs is a good thing on the BX series. The day I  realized this took away my desire to own one.

MarkT

3 1/2 year old thread. I have 675 yds of 100# Threadlock + 50 yds of 130# TL. Much more than 500 yds of 100#! I know those with 700 yds of 100# JB with room for a nice topshot.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!